Chapter nine

Bonnie looked around in fear, edging ever so closer to James. He pulled her closer, whispering.

"Don't make any sudden movements, or they'll attack." Bonnie nodded, looking at all the beedrill. Their buzzing rang throughout James's head, making his head pound. He began to think about what to do. What were their choices? What opportunity could they use to get away? They needed to approach this carefully, there was no room for error.

As if Dedenne read James's mind and decided to do the precise opposite of what he was thinking, it leapt from his shoulder and began racing away. The beedrill became angry and flew after it, spooking Dedenne even more and causing it to run back towards James and Bonnie. It jumped into Bonnie's arms, chattering uncontrollably, and the beedrill looked like they were about ready to attack.

Noticing the way the beedrill were moving around, James gulped. All of them were about to use poison sting. All they had to defend them was Dedenne. Electric type moves weren't super effective against bug type pokemon, but they weren't weak against them either. So it could be worse. They didn't have much time, though.

Saying the first thing that popped into his head, James pointed at the beedrill and yelled, "Dedenne, use thunderbolt!!!"

Dedenne, recognizing the order, sprang once again from Bonnie's arms and cried out, sending electricity all over the beedrill. James and Bonnie took the few seconds it bought them to run back into the tall grass, with Dedenne landing on James's shoulder a few seconds later. Holding onto Bonnie's wrist, James continued on, running as fast as he possibly could until he no longer heard the beedrills' buzzing behind them. Only then did he let go and stop to catch his breath.

Bonnie bent over herself to take a breather before looking at James and Dedenne.

"Everyone...okay?" James asked in between breaths.

"I think so..." Bonnie responded. She took Dedenne from James's shoulder, and then looked concerned. "Oh no, Dedenne!! It's hurt!!" She said. Looking at Dedenne, James saw that Bonnie was right. Dedenne was obviously in pain, and was sparking a bit all over the place.

"I think it got hit by poison sting." James replied. "We need to get it to a Pokemon center, maybe we can find the others there as well and see if they're all okay."

"But...but we're still a day's walk from Snowbelle!!" Bonnie cried. "Or at least, we were. I don't even know where we are anymore! Is this how it feels when you blast off? It looked like it could be fun, but this is really scary!!!"

Bonnie ended with a wail and plopped down on the ground, holding Dedenne close as tears began to stream down her face. James stood there, a bit in shock. How on earth does one help a crying child? Sure, he'd dried Ellie's tears multiple times, but that was his daughter. He barely knew anything about Bonnie, much less how to help her feel better.

So, James did the first thing that came to mind. He sat down across from her and began talking in a gentle voice.

"Hey," he said, "it's gonna be okay. Do you have Dedenne's pokeball?"

"N-no!" Bonnie stuttered, "It's still with Clemont!!!"

"Okay," James said, still speaking gently. "Okay, that's all right. I'd keep Dedenne in your bag for now. We'll find out how to figure out where we are, and get to Snowbelle from there. You've gotta trust me, okay?"

Bonnie sat there for a minute trying to catch her breath. When she finally calmed down, she nodded. "Okay."

"Are you hurt badly?" James asked. "I realize I didn't ask you earlier, we had to run. I'm sorry if I scared you."

"No," Bonnie replied, shaking her head. "No, I just scraped my knee. I'm okay." James felt a wave of relief wash over him. Bonnie wasn't hurt. That was good news.

"How about you? How's your head?" Bonnie asked. A bit surprised at her question, James smiled.

"I'm fine." He assured her. "Hasn't been the first time I hit my head; I'm sure it won't be the last."

Bonnie began to say something else, but closed her mouth and looked to the right when she noticed a rustling in the grass. Out of instinct, she reached for James again. More beedrill?

James stood up in a fighting position, ready to defend Bonnie and Dedenne if need be. But it turned out, protection wasn't needed. A familiar voice sounded out right after a certain greninja leapt through the tall grass, a small green pokemon on its back.

"Bonnie?" The Pokemon asked, looking at the two, "and the guy from team rocket? What are you two doing all the way out here?" The pokemon turned back to look at Bonnie. "I thought you and your friends were headed to the airport, with Ash and Serena traveling to different regions, and all."

Bonnie's face lit up, while James's contorted with confusion.

At the same time that James asked, "Zygarde?"

Bonnie called out, "Squishy!!!"