Chapter 3.1: Sitting Pretty

(Chapter cover art by Fella2P on Twitter)

The chill of the early breeze gnawed at his shoulders once again when he woke up. Rubbing at his bare chest, he squinted at the sun that filtered through the slit in the white and silver curtains. It was his usual waking hours, but as the mornings got colder, he found himself more and more reluctant to leave the warmth and safety of his silken covers. Still, he managed to drag himself out, slipping on a tunic and shirt to make his way downstairs.

"It appears your presence at the ball was well-received," George's mother said with a smile when he sat down for breakfast two mornings after his 'royal debut'.

The king and queen sat at the dining table, enjoying the scrumptious meal that was laid out. In the centre of the dining table sat a platter of toast and eggs. A servant was tidying up in the kitchen, the hushed flow of the tap distantly audible, but it was rather peaceful. The tall windows were enough to light up the room, saving them candles that they would usually use in the more hidden parts of the castle. The blue tablecloth had just been washed, George could tell from how bright the silver in the tassels and trims were.

As usual, his parents were reading the letters they had received. This happens often after they attend large events; a day would be spent writing procedural letters to show good relations, and the day after would be when they were delivered. Most were returns from the royals they had mingled with at the ball, no doubt filled with empty pleasantries and false promises to visit and 'keep in touch'. (Clearly disingenuous, since other than the Watsons of Gold, they hadn't had an actual visitor in years.) But something was definitely different this time around, evident by the gleam in his father's eye when he glanced up from one of the handfuls of letters laid out on the table.

The young man lit up instantly at the praise, curiously looking between his parents to figure out why they seemed so chirpy. Had a queen mentioned him in their letter? Perhaps the first impression that he sought to frame himself in was set in stone, impactful enough to warrant a feature. He had just woken up minutes prior, barely having much time to freshen up before heading down, but the promise of good news definitely had him awake and alert.

"Why's that?" He asked, reaching for his coffee.

"You have a few letters addressed to you specifically, written by kings and queens," his father said with a proud smile, sliding a few wax-sealed letters his way. "You've been quite the topic of conversation in some of the letters we received, as well."

George picked one of them up, the envelope that was an orange-tinted shade, and ran his finger along the grains of the deep red wax. The signature stamp of Redstone, with its deliberately fragmented lines circling a small ruby in the centre of where the metal had pressed into the drying lacquer. It was dripping with sophistication, regality, professionalism, and it made the reality of his role as a successor feel all the more present on his shoulders. Yet, it didn't feel like a burden.

Carefully prying open the envelope, he began to read.

____________________________

Prince George Henry Davidson II,

What an honour it was to meet you on the evening of Emerald's Royal Ball.

It's lovely to see a prince who can hold his own at his first ball, especially from a humble country such as your own. I must say, your debut was a rather surprising one, but the energy I picked up from being in your presence was impressive, to say the least. A well-read man indeed.

You were speaking with the Prince of Gold, I noticed. I do hope your impression of me isn't painted one way or another, Wilbur and I have a complicated relationship. He is a lovely young lad, but I know he doesn't think the best of me. I do hope this won't be a crease in our relations moving forward.