| Chapter 37: Genos' Past |

𓆰𓆰Genos' POV𓆰𓆰 

I've said a lot whenever I spoke to someone about things. I wanted my words to be precise, yet at times, I cause misunderstandings with my diction. To thoroughly explain things, I always made sure to say everything. Without doing so, there would be no exception and it would've been pointless.

As I looked at Miyu, who admittedly looked wonderful despite the ambience, I couldn't help but feel this gentle atmosphere despite us regardless at the fact that we were in a cave. In the past, I've brought up the Mad Cyborg. In fact, many times at that. She'd listen to me intently and still treat me with such warmth that I could never imagine. The way she radiated her care was always a pleasure, something I could never get tired of.

However, the night was rather odd. I know I've brought up my past to her many times, but I've found myself in a difficult spot. Was it the fact that she saw my parents? Perhaps it was seeing all the dead bodies scattered around the town? The area that we're in? Or is it the weather? With all these thoughts, I knew that I was just in denial, deliberately avoiding the topic or stalling. Makes me feel rather shameful.

The wind began to blow and whistle, which was fairly loud. It made a slight shrieking echo through the cave. A displeasure to hear.

I looked to the side and noticed Miyu wrapping the blanket around her a bit tighter.

Around us seemed like there were a few sticks I could burn for a fire. Before I went into details of everything, I gathered some of them and began lighting them up with my blasters. The ignition in my hands lit up slowly as the twigs began heating up. A spark flew and I placed the burning one onto the rest, letting it spread to the others. With our temporary light and heat source, I decided that I should talk soon.

"Thank you for the fire." Miyu said to me graciously with that soft smile of hers.

"You're welcome." I replied back as I began to recall that day. Normally, I'm not so nervous about talking about the destruction about my hometown. Maybe it has something to do with me actually going into full details.

It seemed like I was taking a while because Miyu spoke up and said, "You don't have to start off with the day of the attack. You can tell me about your younger years first or days prior if you'd like." She always had a knack at being perceptive. The wisdom she holds at reading me is remarkable. I can't find myself hiding things from her all too well.

I wonder if I could ever be like her. Considering the fact that I never noticed she wasn't feeling well to a point where she got a fever is rather concerning and unfair. Even back when the huntsman spider incident happened, she noticed that something wasn't right about me. There was also the time where I had to kill that child that got infected by that mushroom monster. She was there for me.

The only time I can recall me noticing that something was wrong was when it was noticeable. At some point, she was awfully on edge once because a friend brought up the idea of her dating. She spoke to me about it later though. Then there was that time when she was rejected from that writing contest, she didn't answer her phone at all since she turned it off. With recent events, her emotions went unnoticed as she expressed everything in her writing. If I was more competent and focused on what she was doing, I could've caught onto it sooner.

I've seen Miyu happy, sad, sarcastic, and even a little mad. She's shown and taught me a lot of things that I am grateful for. The time she's shared with me has been something that has kept me going. This month has been awfully strange, and I could tell that things between us are different compared to before.