CHAPTER 054

"Sultanim, Hürrem Sultan sent me to inform you that she has decided to double her security and got new maids. She thinks it is wise if you do the same during these hard times" Gül Agha said. I sighed and looked up from Korkut who was sleeping in between my arms, my darling had turned two along with his twin sister Nuriye.

"Find me come girls and send them here. Hürrem is right, Rosie, Helen, and Hundi can't protect me and my children on their own" The tension in the palace was obvious, it felt like the Valide Sultan was dividing the harem on purpose. Hürrem was only sending gifts to one part of the harem which was railing up the other side and that made me scared for my children.

"Immediately Sultana, I have prepared them and brought them here with me Sultana, I knew you were wise and intelligent enough to make the right decision " Gül Agha sounded delighted as he knocked on the door. Halil agha walked in with a glare on his face which made Gül agha smirk, they must have fought, again.

"If you close the door in my face again, I will rip you to shreds" Halil hissed in Gül's face. I couldn't help but giggle at the way he said and how angry he seemed. Now I know why Gül ran in like a mad man. Halil's head snapped in my direction at the sound of my laugh.

"My sultana, forgive me" he bowed to me. I waved him off because I needed the laugh since Suleiman had left for a campaign with Mustafa by his side.

"Now Sultana, since Meleki and Zeynep Hatun have retired we thought we should give you more maids," Halil Agha said pushing Gül agha to the side, the other agha muttered under his breath what I can only imagine was curse words. Halil knocked on the door and five maids walked into the room. None of them seemed to stand out much to me except one, the girl I had saved from the other day at my hospice, she was nine years old and already ready to serve. I knew now that Ayse would be happy to have someone only one year older than her to play with her, however, I'm not sure about Osman, he may not like the idea of a girl only a year younger than him being here, he already started complaining about having to share a room with his own sisters.

"What are your names, girls?" I asked raising my head. The first girl in the line stepped forward and bowed at my feet.

"Gülruh, Sultanim" the girl introduced. I looked at Halil who nodded his head to show that I can trust her.

"Go to the other room Gülruh, stay with the children at all times" I ordered. Gülruh kissed my robes before standing up. Halil handed her a dagger, a dagger that used to be owned by Meleki, I never leave my maids without a weapon because we never know when we will need them. Gül nudged the second girl to step forward and kneel at my feet.

"My name is Mara" the second girl mumbled. I placed my hand under her chin and made her look up at me.

"You will stay in this room with me unless I take you somewhere" she kissed my robe and moved to stand in the corner of the room, also receiving a dagger. The third girl walked over and kneeled by my feet.

"I'm Mal, Sultanim" she introduced. She was very young and couldn't be older than fourteen, she had the baby fat still around her face.

"Mal, you will stay with me, you look too young to stay with children yet" I patted her shoulder. She smiled up at me before she kissed my robe and moved to get a dagger and took her place beside Mara. The fourth girl stepped forward, it was the nine years old.

"I'm Nesrin, Sultana" she had this glint in her eyes that she didn't have back in the hospice, probably because she now had decent clothes and food to eat.

"Nesrin, you will stay with the children, you can be their friend until you're old enough to ti serve" she kissed my robes and jumped up, and walked over to Halil. He looked at me and I shook my head, no dagger for Nesrin she was too young for a weapon. So Halil patted her back to go to the other chamber where Gülruh must be with Rosie and Helen. The last girl walked over and kneeled down in front of me.