Thirty-Three

***Author's Note:

I know, I know it's been WAY too long since I've updated, BUT thank you so much for sticking with me and this story!! I hope to update again soon, but life has been so crazy lately, I can't make any promises on when that'll be.

But anyway, thanks again for sticking with me and this story. I hope you guys enjoy the next chapter! Happy reading :)

***

The knock on the front door caused Cosette to nearly jump out of her skin. It was still dark outside and not a soul knew where she was. She drew her wand and crouched behind the couch, fearing for her life.

There were three more knocks. Her breathing was heavy as she slapped a hand over her mouth. She felt as if her heart was going to beat out of her chest.

"Cosette?" a soft, muffled voice spoke.

It was familiar sounding, but non-threatening. Her eyes widened as she stood up and slowly walked to the door, her wand still clutched tightly in her hand.

"Cosette, please open the door."

Her shaking hand reached for the handle. She unlocked the door and swung it open.

"Bloody hell mother! You scared the piss out of me!"

Alora Travers was standing on the front porch looking absolutely knackered. Cosette lunged forward and pulled her mother into a tight hug.

"Come and get yourself warmed up," she said as she ushered her mother into the cottage. Cosette took one more look around before closing the door, to make sure Alora was alone. 

"I'm so sorry for the intrusion, my dear. I realize how late it is, but I'm happy you're still awake," said Alora, her body shaking from the intense cold.

"How did you know I was here?"

Alora smiled softly. "I know how sentimental you are, Cosette. You are my only daughter after all."

That wasn't very reassuring. If her mother had found her so easily, there was no doubt in her mind that Tom would find her soon enough. She had to make sure that wouldn't happen.

"Why are you here?"

She sighed as she stepped in front of the burning fireplace. "I had to be sure you were safe."

"Where are Henry and Gabriel?"

"They are safe, do not worry."

"Mother, it was completely reckless coming here. Not only have you compromised your own safety, but mine as well!" lectured Cosette.

"Calm down, child. No one's safety has been compromised."

"How could you know?"

"Your father has been captured," said Alora simply. 

Cosette's eyes widened at the news. Surely that couldn't be true. Her father was far too intelligent and cunning to get himself captured.

"Captured by who?" she asked.

"It is my understanding he's being imprisoned at Malfoy Manor."

Cosette's jaw dropped. That couldn't be good. The last thing she needed was for Tom and her father to team up and find her.

"He wishes to speak to me," muttered Alora, "but I have not responded yet."

Cosette shook her head fearfully. "No mother, no. You mustn't. Father knows how to manipulate you. He'll find us!"