6. Shopping Do's and Don'ts

We pulled up into the Stylet Outlet shopping center in hardly any time at all and with a prize parking space to boot.

After Simone locked up the van she turned to Riker. "We should be done by three, the earliest by two forty five" she tossed him the keys. He caught it with one hand as she continued her instructions, "Give me a call on my cell as soon as you get back with the groceries."

As he opened the front door on the driver's side he muttered to himself, "Brilliant, not only am I grocery shopping but I get to be seen by all in the Blaides mobile. Oh. What a good idea." He turned the keys in the ignition just in time to stifle my giggle at his predicament.

Before he had even driven off, Simone was ushering me across the street and into the intimidating building. We must have hit four stores and I had only picked out two tops, a sweater and a pair of dark jeans when she finally said trying to hide her exasperation; "Yes those are very practical choices but there are more shades in the color spectrum than gray, dark blue and black Winter."

I don't know what she expected; do I look like a pastel fashionista to you? I shrugged. "Sorry, I tend to go with dark colors."

She looked incredulous, " Honestly with those chic boutiques I can't imagine how you even found gray and black and- oh no, we are going to fix this, we are going to broaden your fashion horizon."

Oh no.

'Oh no' was right. Because ten minutes later I find myself in the dressing room with my back against the wall like an animal that has chosen to lock itself into its cage for its own protection.

Simone's heel clacked against the floor as she tapped impatiently. "Winter, it doesn't take five minutes to put on a top, please come out."

"No. no" I shook my head which was redundant of me because she couldn't even see it. "I think I'll just stay in here...forever." I don't know how she even stuck this shirt in with the rest without me knowing, or why the hell I even put it on.

"Winter, come out this instant!"

I groaned inwardly then breathed a sigh of relief when I thought she'd walked away in defeat only to hear her come back. The dressing room door knob began to rattle. Holy Crap, woman! Then the door swung open to Simone tipping an employee five bucks and then I was being pulled out by my arm.

"Oh how precious! I mean uh, cool" she recovered then motioned for me to turn around.

I turned as if my feet were bricks to look in her direction at the mirror she was pointing to. The powder pink top cinched in the back and tied at my neck, the side seams were pinched into tiny knots and the sleeves...well there weren't any. The neckline hung both down both my shoulders into a fold.

Simone clasped her hands together, "So cute."

In what, or whose world? I tried to hide the thought but my nose actually crinkled. I took a deep breath, "Look I'm really sorry, but I really don't like this shirt Simone."

Her brows furrowed in thought "Yes, I do suppose you need a smaller size; I mean mediums just aren't for you are they? I'll go ask," she turned to go but I caught her gently by the shoulder.

"No, it's not the size..." I paused for a second "Well, yeah it's that too but more importantly this," I said looking down at myself "and those" I motioned to the waterfall of clothes hanging in my dressing room. "They're nice, but they just aren't me." Simone turned around slowly and I backed into the dressing room and shut the door. "I'm sorry."

As we returned the clothes to the attendant of the dressing room and exited the store with just the two bags with the sweater, pair of jeans and two tops from before. Simone didn't say anything and we walked aimlessly for a while.