Chapter 5

The day dawned bright and beautiful. Hop was up with the sun, mentally preparing for the day with many cups of coffee, and digging out the box labeled 'Hawkins Lab' from the crawlspace. He could tell Jane everything he knew about Hawkins and her life before she met him and the boys, but a lot of information needed to come from her records. They held more context than his words ever could. He sorted the files chronologically, and laid them out on the table. He left the box on one of the dining chairs.

Hopper knew everything that was in those files, and more. What he didn't know about was the time she had spent with Mike and the boys, from that first night they found her to when he had rescued them at the junkyard days later. She wouldn't remember any of that; he'd only be able to get that from Mike. He'd left soon after finding Jane in the woods, and he hadn't been in contact with anyone from Hawkins since, for as much their safety as his and Jane's. The fact that she had just happened to run into someone named Mike, who happened to be from Hawkins, and had 3 best friends led Hop to believe that this was, indeed, Mike Wheeler.

Hop knew who Mike was. He'd become intimately familiar with him that week in the fall. It was visible to him, and everyone else, how deep his feelings for El went. Losing her crushed him, and Hopper couldn't imagine having to go through what he did when that happened, and then living all this time thinking she was still out there. He saw what that did to Mike, and he was eternally grateful that he had spared Jane from that heartache. But at what cost? After today, she would know the truth, and her life going forward was going to change dramatically. Again, he found himself praying that she'd be able to forgive him. That she'd understand that his decisions were some of the hardest he'd ever had to make. She'd come into his life at a time when he really needed someone, and it would destroy him if he lost her. In a matter of hours, he could find himself in the same place as Mike had been, six years prior. He sincerely hoped it wouldn't come to that.

Hopper glanced at the doorway for the hundredth time. He'd only been up an hour or so, and this was already the longest day of his life. He refilled his coffee and settled in at the table, again immersing himself in the files of the subject that was once known as Eleven.

Jane had a crappy night. No, that was too nice a word for it. Shitty. That was more appropriate. She had a shitty night. Between not being able to close her eyes, to the dreams and nightmares, her night seemed to last forever. She lay in her bed, looking up at the ceiling, with the sunlight filtering in through the blinds, and thought back to the night before......

After she left her dad in the kitchen, she went down to her room. She wasn't lying when she said she was exhausted, but, somehow, she knew she wasn't going to be able to sleep. She changed into a nightshirt and shorts, then brushed her teeth and ran a comb through her hair.

Jane slid under the sheet, and turned off her lamp. She folded her hands on her chest. Her eyes roamed around the darkened room for a few minutes, a myriad of thoughts running through her head, keeping her awake. What life-changing information did her dad have for her? Why did she feel so apprehensive about it? And what did Mike have to do with any of it? She saw her dad's look when she told him where Mike said he was from and that he was traveling with his three best friends. He'd looked almost scared. Why was that? She couldn't imagine that some boy from some small town in Indiana could have anything to do with what Hop had to say. Thinking she was reading way too much into Hop's facial expressions, she instead thought about what her and Mike had talked about, on the plane, at dinner, afterwards. She smiled, and eventually fell asleep with Mike on her mind.

Jane felt warm, like she was wrapped in a soft blanket. She was curled up into Mike, his front to her back, his arms around her. One of his hands was splayed on her stomach, his other was resting on her bare hip. She felt comfortable and content. She leaned her body back a bit, relishing how wonderful he felt against her. He moaned, sliding his hand up her body, between her breasts, his leg moving to rest over hers. She shifted slightly so he would touch her breast, and when he did, she groaned with unreleased pleasure. He did as well. He cupped her breast and rubbed her nipple between his thumb and forefinger, making her squirm, letting her feel his hardness against her back. 'Mmmm,' she whispered. She rested her hand over his and slowly guided it down from her stomach, towards her center, wanting him to relieve the ache that was there. 'El,' his breath ghosted over her hair, 'tell me what you want.' 'Mike, please,' she begged him. Needing no further instructions, she released his hand and, as it made its way to her sex, she lifted her leg over his, opening herself up to him. 'Oh my God, El, you are so wet,' he hummed appreciatively, his hand sliding easily over her. As he explored Jane with his fingers, bringing her closer to her needed release, showing her how much he loved her, he whispered in her ear, 'I'm so glad you're here, I missed you. I love you so much, El.'