6

It was routine now. Get up at the same time, get dressed, eat breakfast, grab your backpack, say goodbye to Mr. and Mrs. Dreemurr, and prepare yourself for the worst day of your life. And, the cherry on top for this cake of unmitigated boredom was the fact that this particular day was the day of the spelling test. Walking on their same, familiar path to school, Asriel skipped ahead of her happily. Chara could not understand how he could be so sensitive to emotions. At one moment, he was crying. Another, he was laughing. Nevertheless, she scoffed and forced a smile right after, laughing. She would always laugh because it was effective. Laughter was the gate closing off the input of pain, no matter where the source was in her body. She felt like a genius. She had discovered a life secret she would tell no one else. Looking at Asriel skipping in front of her, it was not like she needed to, anyway. However, she wondered about one thing.

"Azzy, you're well aware we've got the spelling test today, right?" She said.

"Yeah, well, what's so bad about that? We just might crush it!" He said confidently.

"Cocky. Well, teach said that it didn't matter if we studied either way. Doesn't that sound ominous to you?"

"What's that mean?"

She sighed.

"Nevermind."

They passed under the fake canopy of tree leaves once again. If there was sunlight, there would be distinct, dark spots on their bodies created by the shadows of the canopy and the holes within would facilitate its bright light. However, the two of them were covered almost completely in shadows. Any sort of light overhead was either nonexistent or dim. Everyone was trapped underground. Everyone was covered in shadows.

Arriving at the school, it was expected that there would be a cacophony of childish noises outside. They did not care so much about school as they did enjoying themselves. Today was different. There was barely any noise. It was quiet. It was uncanny. There was whispering between the children, and they were peering over the window frame looking into a classroom.

"What's going on?" Chara was interested now.

"We've got to see."

The royal children joined the cluster and periodically stood on the tips of their toes to catch a brief glimpse of what happened inside. They could easily tell it was their classroom. There were three figures. Two of them were busy in conversation, while the third was much shorter and looking around. The only recognizable figure out of the three was their teacher, who seemed eager and almost awestruck.

"Ugh... Who are they?"

One of the meaner kids blurted to her.

"Of course you wouldn't know, being holed up in your fancy castle and all. That's the Royal Scientist and his kid."

There was an uproar of talking as soon as the Royal Scientist stopped talking to the teacher.

"Why's he here?"

"Did he always have a kid?"

"How should we approach him?"

"I've never seen anyone like that kid before."

"I wish I was in the same classroom."

The bell rang, and it shut the children's mouths as they formed a cluster around the door to the building once more. Chara stayed behind, disturbed and annoyed. Asriel looked back at her.

"Chara? What's wrong?"

"You can't be serious... We're the royal children! How could he get any more attention than us?"