八 : mimeomia

the girl's voice was almost as pretty as she, as a whole, was. her hair was a dark shade of brown, her face was small and her features were downright immaculate, it's almost rare to see beauty like that. her eyes, dark pools of mystery, were pretty similar to jungkook's own doe eyes. the white knee-length dress she wore was adding up to her angelic vibe, hugging her perfect curves.

seconds later it clicked jungkook that this woman was her. bae irene, only daughter of the prime minister of korea, bae joohyuk. aka taehyung's supposed fiancé. he's seen her in multiple commercials, a few interviews, and whatnot.

strangely enough, while the world assumed it was bae irene that would be the new princess of the country, taehyung's engagement ring sat on jungkook's finger instead.

"i didn't think you'd be here. i'm irene, it's nice to meet you." her voice was soft.

"jungkook, nice to meet you too."

"ah, i already know. i follow you on instagram, actually."

"i didn't notice that ma'am, i'll make sure to follow you back as soon as i can, then."

"just irene is fine." a captivating smile lit up on her rosy lips. "so you're jungkook huh? jeon jungkook." the fact he was thee jeon jungkook certainly did catch the woman's attention. her eyes ventured up and down the boy's invisibly nervous body, the trickiness in her words was clear in her voice. "i've been taehyung's friend since we were 7, how come have i never noticed him falling in love with you or you even being around him?"

jungkook's lips naturally parted to speak, but it took him about 5 seconds to gather the set of cautious words he wanted to use to not look like a dumb bitch he sometimes is. "we met 2 days ago, actually. so i'm not quite sure when his highness fell in love with me, love at first sight, must be a real thing then, isn't it?"

miss irene wasn't slick enough to hide the fakeness in her smile. "well, what about you? how come you accept a proposal of a man you just met?"

"because his highness is very nice to me. i also wanted to help him out since he said he's trying to run away from a problem his mother and a girl is trying to create for him. he said i was the only solution." jungkook grinned, flashing his bunny teeth.

"ah, so were you having complications in your dating life mr. jeon? to have accepted a man's proposal just because of reasons like that?"

"i see you're very concerned about my engagement to our prince, ms. bae, and it's very heartwarming, thank you. while it's true marriages come with a lot of difficulties these days, his highness and i have created a strong enough bond the past two days. we're good to go, i promise you don't have to worry."

"i'm glad to hear that." irene's chuckle came out roughly and faker than her smiles were. "how about you join me for lunch, mr. jeon? the queen and the prince will be there too."

wait, lunch? after having that huge of a breakfast?

"sure."

-

"what gives you the audacity to let irene into the palace? mom she cheated on me!"

"taehyung, i'm sure you both can talk it out. plus she thinks you're the one who cheated on her with mr. jeon!"

"i met jungkook two days ago, i accepted him after seeing irene cheat at her house i didn't even know that boy earlier."

"well then explain it to her? you didn't even tell her you're breaking up with her."

taehyung exhaled roughly as he massaged his temples in exasperation. talking to his mom would be similar to talking to a wall. and it was more annoying being aware of her and irene's desperation in breaking off jungkook and his engagement.

"how much more are we going to do for irene's family? first, we secure irene's father's position as the fucking prime minister, then we cover up for all his crimes and now you're going to do everything to make sure your son marries his daughter? revolting."

"taehyung, stop that." the queen glared at her son sternly. "i'm not going to talk to you further about this."

"i'm going to marry jungkook, mom. i love him." well that lie rolled off perfectly from his mouth.

"you don't. who told you that? you think i'm dumb enough to know that engagement wasn't an accident?"

taehyung gulped. "well, even so, it doesn't change the fact i'm marrying him and not irene, i'm not even faking anything with her."

the queen's eyes widened at that statement, "taehyung! i didn't raise you to be queer!"

"if you probably cared about my mental health and my decisions a bit more, i'd understand why my sexuality matters to you so much."

taehee fell silent on that, her eyes faintly softening up. taehyung started heading towards the door to leave his mother's room. his heart was jumping out of his chest as he reflected on the words he's said to his own mother, and he couldn't dare to be around her after all of that.

"meet us up for lunch." taehee uttered for the last time. "your favorite jungkook is going to be there."

-

jungkook wasn't a runway model, but he sauntered down the hall as elegantly as he could, oblivious to the fact irene was still eyeing him behind him. the painful silence broke as the both of them arrived at the dining hall. the two tall guards opened the door for them. like irene said, both taehyung and taehee were waiting for them on both ends of the huge table. jungkook took a second to observe the grad, royal dining hall. it was sure better and livelier than the ones he's seen in movies.

Irene was probably used to this type of environment. everyone over here was. except for jungkook himself. the new environment overwhelmed jungkook, and he swore he would suffocate in this newness any moment. the feeling of someone like him not fitting in here hit him right in the heart.

taehee's head jumped up to see the two young adults entering the room. she mouthed a "welcome" and gave her usual pleasant kinda-fake smile. but wasn't what caught jungkook's attention, what actually caught his attention was taehyung. he kept his head down the entire time, not noticing anyone. his depressive aura was almost contagious. but was he that mad to see jungkook or irene, jungkook never knew.

halfway through the very luxurious royal lunch, which consisted of a healthy amount of vegetables and meat, jungkook wondered how every one of the members of the korean royal family was so fit.

he grunted, as someone who gained weight a bit too easily, he felt his kilos already increasing.

"is everything alright, mr. jeon?" taehee questions.

jungkook immediately regrets his action as all the eyes, including taehyung's, were on him now. "i-i'm okay. i'm just full."

"already?" irene asked. instead of answering her, jungkook take notice of taehyung who was already staring at the younger boy. his hands on the silver utensils were enticing, or so he thought as he placed them down to his unfinished plate of food, nodding at jungkook. the boy immediately understood that it was a permission for him to leave.

"w-well, with your permission, i would like to leave." jungkook still looked over at the queen for once.

"go ahead, mr. jeon."

he shot up from his chair a bit too loudly, for all the eyes on the room fell on him once again. he walked to the door, and out of the room.

taehyung sighs randomly. "i'm done too, take my food away." he orders the maids at the corners of the room. as he stood up, irene did too.

"w-wait tae!" he heard irene speak and paused on his way, but never looking at the girl. "could we talk for a little?"