28: Day One

I stood with the other Spanish teachers as we waited for check-in at the airport. It was killing me to be away from Via. She had been staying with me a lot more since she passed out and I had grown used to her being there. She was sitting on her large suitcase with her headphones on as she texted on her phone paying no one any attention. She wasn't engaging with the other students, she didn't know them so that didn't surprise me.  

Via had been doing so much better mentally. She had been attending her classes again and hanging out with her friends more, going to parties, her and her father's relationship is a little touch and go. She feel betrayed by him for so many different reasons and he's worrying about her and what she's gone through. He even submitted a formal report to the school. Via refused to talk about it and sat in the deans office for three hours and didn't say a word. 

"Guys listen up. We're going to go to bag check and then security, please stay together and refrain from straying off." I tell them, one teacher walked ahead and I stay back handing each of them their flight tickets. Via was at the end still looking at her phone as her other hand pulled her case along. "Morning," I say as I hand her, her ticket. She pocketed her phone and smiled at me taking her ticket. "What seat number are you?" She asked looking at hers. "We're next to each other," I tell her and she nodded. "Happy about that?" "Happy I have someone to sleep on." "You're not abandoning me the whole flight to sleep," I tell her. "Yeah, I am." 

We join the line to get our bags checked in and I tried not to talk to her too much but It was hard not to because I was so used to just talking to her. Or her talking to me she can just talk and talk. But she seems to be doing a better job at playing it cool than me. She was just acting super uninterested in me. "How are you in a skirt for a flight?" 

"Because I actually got up on time this morning and pre-packed for the trip

"Because I actually got up on time this morning and pre-packed for the trip." She snarks. "Do I look that bad?" I asked her. "You look like a teacher." She shrugged. I looked down at my outfit. "I don't" I wrapped my cardigan around myself and she tried not to laugh loudly covering her mouth with her ticket. "You're mean." "You make it easy." 

---------

I eyed the security guard up as they pattered Via down, he seemed to be enjoying it a little too much moving his hands slowly not patting sliding. "Part your legs." "She's in a skirt, she's not got anything," I say reaching for Via's arm and pulling her to my side. He went to challenge me but I shot him a look. "Come on baby," I say pulling her along with me, I let go of her the closer we got to the rest of the group and then we went back to not talking. 

I would look over at her every once and a while and she was mostly on her phone or listening to music. We board the plane not too long after and I assisted the students in finding their seats and putting their bags away, Via was sat waiting for me in our seats. I put the last bag away and then made my way there. She was already leaning against the window with her eyes closed. "I don't think so," I whispered in her ear as I took my seat, she opened one eye and smiled. "Shut up." She whined closing her eye again.