Chapter 3: Making a Splash in Pittsburgh Part 1

Monday

My mom makes a turn into the studio. "Are you ready, Phoenishka?"

"As ready as I'll ever be!" I swing open the door, a smile on my face, as I walk into the studio. I feel nervous, oddly, even as I open the door to see Abby at the front desk.

"Hello, sweetie! Come on in!" I walk through the door, hugging my headshot to my chest. Abby seems happy enough this morning, probably because of our big win last week. 

Abby hands my mom a stack of papers and a pen, which my mom begins reading. "Did you bring your headshot, sweetie?" Abby asks. I nod.

"Here it is," I say, placing the photo on her desk. My mom gave me a collection of pictures to choose from, but my favorite is the one we took in Russia last winter, me with braids, a green beanie hat, and a fuzzy jacket.

Abby smiles and nods. "Thank you! Ask mommy to sign the papers really quick, then run of to the den and warm up with the girls, okay?"

"Okay," I say. My mom hands me one of the contracts, which I scan through before writing my name on the bottom. I thank Abby then run off to the den.

As soon as I open the door, I get tackled to the floor in hugs. "Phoenix! You made it!" Sarah yells.

Sarah, GiaNina, and Lilly let me go. We all burst into laughter. "I'm so happy!" I respond.

We all stretch and talk, them cautioning me about what to expect during the pyramid. "You probably will be on the top because you got first," Gia says, I can't help but smile. I can't believe I made it in the ALDC. I can't believe my headshot is going to be among the other girls during the pyramid.

"Yay. But what about you guys?" I ask. "You've been here longer than me."

They turn to each other, giving each other meaningful glances, "Yeah, we're gonna be near the bottom." 

I bite my bottom lip. "Oh. Sorry." I stay silent, unsure what else to say.

"No, don't be sorry! You worked really hard to be here. Don't ever be sorry for winning," Sarah encourages. It reminds me of the quote Abby says to Asia during season 6. The mothers are evil, but the girls are sweet as pie.

I nod. "Okay, thank you." We talk for a while longer, then compare Instagram accounts. So far, mine has the least followers, but since the first competition at the ALDC, I've gained over a thousand. I think as the show goes on, I'll gain more followers and likes.

Then we have a flexibility contest. Lilly and Ellie's back can beat mine any day, but my oversplits go higher than both of theirs. Elliana follows closely behind. "It's not fair, you guys are the tiniest!" Sarah laughs. "That's why you both can bend in half." We talk for a while longer, until Abby calls us in.

"Moms, girls, let's go!" We head out of the room, our moms following behind us. I stand at the end of the line, next to Pressley. "Congratulations! The group finally won," We all cheer, and the moms clap. 

"I guess that my philosophy actually worked, you all danced together as a group," Abby praises herself.

Yolanda chirps in. "Abby, it wasn't fair. My daughter was supposed to be in the dance, but that new girl took her spot," Yolanda motions to me. My gaze drops to the floor.

"Whelp, according to you, you sent Ellie to the car to take a nap," I turn to Ellie, whose eyes are rich in sorrow.

Yolanda raises her voice. "Well, you never clarified whether Ellie would be in the group or not! You should have told me earlier! Ellie thinks she's being replaced by an inexperienced, worthless nine year old, it's not fair to her!" Yolanda looks me straight in the eyes. I turn to Ellie, who looks at me as if to say sorry.