Chapter 18: Unknown Limits (2)

Silence reigned over them, with only the sound of the rainwater crashing on the ground...

"6 minutes... This should be enough." Ryujin said as he swiftly jumped in the air and from there, he exerted energy on his feet, creating an invisible foothold which he then used in mid-air and lunged from there.

"That's dangerous," Ryo whispered as they all jumped out of there and landed quite a distance away from him. Ryujin slashed downward violently, leaving a crater on the ground he hit. He looked up and swiftly dashed towards them.

Ryo feels a little taken aback, He puts his hand on the ground, using one of his spells, he made the ground slightly tremble, which slightly off-balances Ryujin, forcing him to lose his momentum, then, With little distance between them, He took this chance and launched a ball of fire, momentarily blurring his vision by the smoke caused by the impact and therefore, giving them a chance to either counter or flee away.

But they chose to stay, watching as the fire goes out fast, watching as the smoke ceases. Ryo is expecting something like he still can stand up on his two feet and can lunge at them at any second.

Hence, he took another cautious stance, a stance, where he can instinctively lunge one time and land a brutal attack. Not long after, Ryujin jumps out of the smoke, above, he throws his dagger down at full force and just stood still in mid-air.

Ryo was fortunately prepared, with the stance he did, he was able to stop the dagger in its tracks using his sword.

Kyouko sees that Ryujin is wide open and weaponless, she nonetheless heads for him. She puts some energy on her feet and made her way up by making invisible footholds for her to step in and jump from.

"Burn down..." Then, she summoned a bunch of white cubes around him, at her signal, all those cubes unleashed the strong energy of lightning, combined with the pouring rain, which only not strengthens the damage of the lightning, but also widens its range.

The lightning shakes violently, and at that time, Ryo was able to parry the sword and push it down to the ground.

"Now then... Airi."

"I know!"

She floated in the air along with her book, then she pointed her palms towards Ryujin, her eyes full of focus as if she's trying to manifest something completely outside her comfort zone. She's struggling, pain shooting inside her body, indicating that she is pushing herself too much. But, she ignored it.

After a short delay, she was able to completely summon a spell above her skill limit.

"F-Freeze!"

She closed her fist and at the moment she does that, Ryujin was frozen in the middle of the raging bolts of lightning.

"D-Did that do it?" She asked in a shaky voice.

"I think that did it," Ryo said,

But... much to their horror, they heard the usual sound of water splashing behind Airi,

"Come forth, unleash." Ryujin's voice said, Then, a huge wave of water came towards them. A wave, so huge it took every tree down coming on its way, It's like a catastrophic tsunami, gradually devouring everything that is in its path.

"Let's go," Ryo said as he crouched down and offered Airi his back, non-vocally telling her to hop on his back.

"Get out here, you two, go somewhere far from here. I'll take care of this." Kyouko said as she summoned flashes of lightning around her as if she wants to face him head-on. But Ryo deep inside him doesn't agree with this. He knows how to completely defeat him, based on how he moved, even though they only changed their blades minimally, he read enough.