The Two Koreas

Event: Korean War Begins

Location: Pyongyang, Democratic People's Republic of Korea

Date: June 25, 1950

The Democratic People's Republic of Korea knew that the unification of his country with the country to the south would happen eventually. Both sides wanted reunification, so it only made sense that it would come eventually.

But with two countries and two countrypeople, it made sense that reunification was going to get...complicated, to say the least. Korea didn't think it was going to be easy, especially because his country father, the Soviet Union, was concerned that the southern countryperson was under America's control.

That wasn't Korea's primary concern. The southern countryperson, being America's country child, was no different from the Soviet Union being his country father. The problem with the southern countryperson lay in the fact that his half-sister was the new Japan.

It would be an insult to the Korean people and all they had suffered for their new, united countryperson to be related to the daughter of the monster that had tried to wipe them out.

Korea was sure the southern one understood that and would be willing to give him the right to be the unified government.

At least, he was until he heard the news about what was happening at the 38th parallel.

"South Chosen did what?" Korea exclaimed, shock flooding through him as he stared at the messenger that had just brought him news from his human father, Kim Il Sung.

"Their forces attacked Haeju," the messenger said, panic in his eyes, "We have counter-attacked in response to this, but..."

Korea nodded as the messenger trailed off, clearly at a loss as to what to say.

"Thank you for telling me this. You can go now," Korea said. The messenger nodded and left the room. As soon as he did, Korea let the fear he felt show on his face.

He knew...he knew his human father had been preparing for the eventuality of war; it would have been foolish not to, with the rising tensions in the world, especially between the Soviet Union and the United States.

But Korea had been clinging to the hope that reunifying his land and people would have been a peaceful occasion, with a lovely ceremony where he could talk to his southern half, his brother through their country mother, the Korea that outlived her captor. He had hope that, even though one of them was fated to die, they could find a nice place to sit together, and whichever one was fated to die would do it peacefully.

He...he didn't want this.

He didn't want war. But war came anyway. So soon after their freedom, after their births. So soon after they were created, they had to fight—not even against their oppressors but against each other.

Korea didn't want this.

But he would have to fight for his people, for everything they had done for him, and to honor the promise he made to protect and look after them until his time was up.

Korea didn't know where things would go from here. Would he lose and die? Would the Southern one lose and die? Would this end in reunification?

Who knew?

Korea wasn't a violent man. He hated the idea of raising arms against anyone, let alone his brother. He...he cared about his brother. I guess he thought his brother cared about him.

Maybe his brother thought he was better because he actually got to meet their mother. Did he think that made him superior, made him more qualified to be the country for their people? The fact that he got to meet their mom!