Chapter nine

Meghan didn't know Will that well nor had she ever been to his house, so she didn't expect that night to be where she learned more about him. She sat next to Dustin in the living room while everyone else crowded around the area and the kitchen, and Will's mother, Joyce was in her bedroom. Her boyfriend was killed by some of the demodogs that escaped the lab and needed some time to mourn.

"I'm sorry about the way I acted back at the junkyard" Meghan told Dustin.

"It's not your fault", he replied.

"But I could've done something. Instead, I just stood there"

"I didn't expect you to do anything. Besides, anyone of us could've been toast"

After Hopper hung up the phone, everyone turned to his attention, eager to know what to do next. "We'll see", Hopper said. "'We'll see'?!", Mike raised his voice."we can't just sit here while those things are loose!"

"We stay here and wait for help",Hopper replied firmly.

"Did you know that Bob was the original founder of Hawkins AV?", Mike asked them.

"Really?", asked Lucas.

"Yeah. He petitioned for the school to start it and everything. Mr. Clarke learned everything from him".

"He sounded cool", Meghan said.

"Yeah, he was", Mike nodded. "We can't let him die in vain".

~~~~~

"So, you're saying that this thing is possessing Will?", Meghan asked Mike. They gathered around each other and were discussing how they should get rid of the monster that had a physical attachment to Will. Mike had a bunch of drawings that Will made of the creature earlier laid out on the floor.

"Yes, exactly", he replied.

"And it's connecting him to the tunnel?", asked Max.

"To the tunnels, to the monsters, to the Upside Down", Mike explained.

"Woah,woah, slow down", Steve chimed in.

"Okay, so the monster's connected to everything and if the vines feel pain, then Will will feel pain".

"And so does Dart", Lucas added.

"It's like what Mr. Clarke taught us. The hive mind"

"The hive mind?", Steve asked.

"A collective consciousness. It's like a super-organism", Dustin explained and Meghan finished his sentence simultaneously.

"And this is the thing that controls everything. The brain", mike pointed to a part of the drawing.

"The Mind Flayer", said Dustin.

"What?", everyone asked at the same time. He lead him to the kitchen table and pulled out a Dungeons and Dragons manual. "D&D?", Meghan looked on puzzlingly.

"Look, I'll explain. The Mind Flayer", he slammed the manual on the table.

"What the hell is that?", Hopper asked in an annoyed tone.

"It's a monster from an unknown dimension", Dustin continued to explain. "It enslaves different races from other dimensions but taking over their brains".

A lot of what Meghan was hearing was a bit too insane to process, but she chose to go along with it. Hopper denied that The Mind Flayer has anything to do with it, stating that it was from a "kid's game", but Dustin argued that it wasn't. They came to the conclusion that it wanted to take over other dimensions and one way to stop it was by using fire. Meghan followed that they were saying, but then mentally wanted to facepalm as she listened to everyone around her argue and debate how to stop the Mind Flayer. "What the hell are we still doing here?", Hopper paced around the room.

"I thought we were waiting for your 'military backup'?", Dustin asked him sarcastically.

"We are!", bellowed Hopper.

"What are they gonna do?", Mike chimed in. "They can't just shoot this thing with guns?"

"We don't know! We don't know anything!", Hopper yelled.

"They're right", Joyce spoke up, emerging from the hallway. The room was silent once they saw her. "I want to kill it", she said.