Chapter 3

"I call it..the forever clock", Dustin pulled out one of his inventions. He briefly worked the invention which blew air into Meghan's face while El still clutched on to Mike's arm. "Powered by wind. Very useful for the apocalypse".

"You've been really thinking ahead", Meghan nodded her head.

Dustin continued to show more inventions and Meghan asked him what material did he use to make him. "But this...this is my masterpiece", Dustin unzippened a duffel bag.

"An unassembled, one-of-a-kind, battery powered radio tower", Dustin explained.

"So, it's a..ham radio", Will guessed.

"The Cadillac of ham radios"

Dustin went on to explain that the cerebro could be use to connect with someone over long distance. To test it out, he was planning on contacting Susie, a friend that he made at camp.

~~~~~~~~

"Aren't we high enough?", Lucas asked as they walked up a grassy hill, carrying the supplies.

"Cerebro works best at a hundred meters", Dustin replied.

"You know, I'm pretty sure people in Utah have telephones", said Max.

He went on to tell them about how Susie was a Mormon.

"Meg, you would like her. She's also into biology like you", Dustin said to Meghan.

"Bitchin'", Meghan commented.

They had almost reached the top of the hill when Mike called out to them. "Hey, guys, this has been fun and all, but..", he pointed to his watch. "I've got to go home".
"But we're almost there", said Dustin.

"Sorry, man. Curfew"

Curfew?, she thought. She knew that it was kind of a lame excuse to go spend more time with El. "Good luck", El said before walking off with Mike.

"Curfew at four?", asked Dustin.

"They're lying", Lucas said.

"It's been like this all summer", Will groaned.

"It's romantic", Max shrugged.

"It's gross"

"It's frustrating", Meghan added in an annoyed tone.

"It's bullshit", Dustin corrected. "I just got home. Well, their loss, right? Upwards or downwards. Susie awaits"

Once they reached the top, they assembled the cerebro. Dustin finally sat on the ground and clicked the mouthpiece. "Suzie, do you copy? Over", he spoke. They tried to listen for a response, but all they heard was silence and static on the other end. "She's probably..she's still there", said Dustin. "Susie, this is Dustin, so you copy? Over".

~~~~~
Time passed and it was nightfall. Meghan tiredly rested her head in Dustin's shoulder as he continued his attempt to contact Susie. "Dustin, come on, she's not there!", Max exclaimed.

"She's there, alright. She'll pick up", Dustin protested.

"She's probably busy", Meghan said.

"Or maybe the cerebro doesn't work", suggested Will.

"Or maybe Suzie doesn't exist!", added Lucas.

"She does exist!", argued Dustin.

"But no girl is that perfect"

Max sat up and narrowed her eyes at Lucas, "Is that so?"

"No, I-I mean, you're..you're perfect"

"I'm just kidding", she smirked. Then, Max and Lucas left along and Will went home afterwards. Meghan stood up and stretched her legs.

"Are you leaving too?", Dustin asked her.

"No. I think I'm going to stay for a little while", replied Meghan. "I'm really glad you're back".

"Me too", he held Meghan's hand. She slowly leaned in for a kiss until the two of them heard static coming from the cerebro. "Susie? Susie, is that you?", he spoke in to the mouthpiece. Instead of expecting a girl's voice, they heard a male voice speaking in Russian.