Chapter 9: Floyd Charles Van Horn the third

"That's when I realized it- all of a sudden," Floyd says, sitting on the ground, Claude and Alex at his side,
"I'm still here because I refuse to think about it. I just have blocked it out, I can't deal with it. My family dying in the most horrible way-" Floyd starts to tear up.
"Floydy, it's ok. Talk to us, slowly, calmly." Claude says.
"They broke in all of a sudden, they had these guns," Floyd looks at the grass, his hands in his lap, his body still, "before I could even think or speak, they, shot my- my- my-"
"Floyd, you don't have to do this." Alex says.
"I do," he says, "it's the only way."
"Go on, Floyd." Claude says.
"They shot my dad. I saw him fall. Then I felt a sharp pain in my shoulder. I turned to look at my mom and she- she was on the ground; blood..." He takes a moment to think, "Blood was everywhere around her. I remember standing up, running towards my mom, then a sharp pain in my side, and I fell. I laid there, passed out for a while. When I woke up, I was in the hospital. I didn't know what happened to my sisters or brother, or my mom and dad."
"I thought you all died together?" Claude says.
"No," Floyd says, his voice not coming above a whisper, "but we should have. I should have died then. I didn't deserve to live. I couldn't live without them anyway. That's why- that's-" He starts again. "That's why, two weeks after I got out of the hospital, I killed myself. It was sudden. I just grabbed the gun, and shot myself as quick as the terrorist shot my family."
"Oh, Floyd," Claude says, holding onto his hand.
"I killed myself too," Alex says, "'cause of my family, too."
"After I died, I couldn't deal with it, still. I couldn't deal that I didn't save them- that I didn't die with them.
But I know now, the only way to be united with them is too move on." Floyd says. He moves on like he died- all of a sudden.