Chapter 26 - Letters from the Empire

'Where are you?' Ximena asked.

Toma blinked and realised he had been lost in thought, staring out to sea from their stone table in the garden. Before them was a beautifully laid banquet of various platters – cold cuts of garlic lamb, pomegranate and cucumber salad, goat's cheese and beetroot tart, rice wine and grape wine. No venison. He was developing a taste for fine foods just as the settlement was about to go bankrupt. He couldn't help finding the tragic comedy in the situation – when the bank had been full of money, they had dined on single servings of hunted game; now that all the money was spent, they were finally able to enjoy luxurious foods; all thanks to the expensive food imports that had drained the coffers.

Toma sighed.

'Oh,' Ximena said, realising. 'The ship arrives today.'

Toma nodded stiffly as if his head were fighting to stay attached to his body.

Dini had told Toma that it would take a half-moon for the gold deal to be completed. That had been one month ago. Since then, Dini had been apologising and avoiding Toma whenever he saw him. Ami reported that Dini was constantly with the nobles or in the newly built bank, conducting affairs. Today a new ship arrived from the mainland – the first ship since the news of the gold deal had reached the empire. The settlement was on the verge of collapse – though the people had not been informed of this dire reality. The bank was empty. The only improvement in the state of the common settlers was that, according to Ami, since Fero's death, crime had reduced, and soldiers no longer thieved and threatened the commoners.

'It will be enough, the gold,' Ximena said, reaching out a reassuring hand.

'Perhaps. If Dini has been true to his word.'

'You should have told me you were dealing with him. He has a reputation for putting his ascent to power first – all counters of coin do. He made a lot of enemies when he managed the bank of Duro City – but it didn't matter. He came out victorious with all the influence.'

'And yet he was sent to this place,' Toma said.

'Only to atone for his reformist leanings,' Ximena said. 'They miss his talents in the empire. Now that I think of it – it is entirely possible that he will keep all the glory for himself in this gold business. If he were to show that it was all his work – he could get rid of you and either become the new leader of the settlement or be granted his return to the empire.'

Toma closed his eyes and felt the summer breeze on his sweating forehead.

'Oh,' Ximena said, touching Toma's shoulder. 'If he did do such a thing – they wouldn't execute you. His success doesn't necessitate your failure. They would simply – '

' – send me to the Sola front,' Toma muttered.

Ximena said nothing.

Toma wondered whether he would take the risk of returning to the empire, leaving his destiny in their hands, or if he would flee. His only options of escape would be deeper into the island or to smuggle himself on a boat back to the empire. Both were certain to fail.

A concerned attendant appeared in the garden and bowed to Toma. Perhaps this was the last time anyone would ever bow to Toma.

'Excuse me, Sir,' the attendant said. 'A letter has arrived from Commander Alveros. The ship has just docked.'

Toma sighed and rose to retrieve the letter.

Suddenly another attendant arrived, 'Excuse me, Sir. Sir Dini Erosi is requesting your company.'

'I'll read my fate then meet him at the bank,' Toma said, already numbing himself.

'Sorry, Sir,' the attendant said, 'I meant to convey that he is here now – with his personal guard.'