Chapter 27 - Celebration of Celebrations

21 NDC - New Duro Calendar

The guests flowed into the governor's mansion. Newly arrived merchants and nobles drifted into the great hall in their shining silks revelling in the opulence of the interior decorations, gazing with awe at the splendour. While the mansion's façade was framed by the heavy columns of the ancient Vetustan tradition, the interior was all modern Duro design – bright mosaics in violet, lavender and rose – all rare dyes, hinting at the magnificence of the manor without the garish embellishments common in the manors of low nobles. A silver chandelier hung from the high ceiling of the great hall, dazzling the guests as the deep red of the torches was reflected and projected along the walls. Attendants served both the old dry wines of Mera and Vulnir as well as the new sweeter Duro wines from the Sola vineyard plantations. As an exotic treat, barrels of ale and cider, produced by the natives of Ntsiag, had been purchased and, in the native way, guests were invited to dip their cups into the barrels and glug the bubbly drink at its freshest. As well as the usual roast lamb and goat spiced with paprika and turmeric and the rice doused in saffron and olive oil, the cook had spit-roasted several hogs for the guests to try the new native delicacy. Western cherry tarts were piled in one corner beside the pistachio and honey sweets of Duro City. Later, there would be another native treat: apple pie with its strange fruit melting under the crispy crust, with a Duro twist – cinnamon sprinkled on top.

Ximena ran back and forth, leading guests to empty tables, ordering the attendants, shouting at the cooks. The high merchants marvelled at the large estate, the expansive vineyard and orchards, of the governor's newly built mansion.

'Where is Governor Adelmo? Ximena, I must see him – I have brought him the most delectable gifts.'

'Dini – we are honoured you have joined us. Who are your guests? Oh – I see – let me fetch the governor.'

Toma, hiding on the balcony, his head spinning from the rice wine, knew it was time to join his guests.

'Ah, Governor Adelmo!' Dini said, joining Toma on the balcony. He was flanked by four beautiful women and a handsome man. 'Congratulations on a beautiful feast. I see you have trained your cooks well in researching the Magoan cuisine.'

'It is all Ximena's work, Dini, you know that,' Toma slurred. His face was hot from the wine. He was glad that Dini had joined him on the balcony rather than dragging him back into the great hall.

'The mansion is more glorious than I had hoped. Are you content?' Dini grinned.

It was the Duro Council that had sent the money for the governor's mansion, claiming that the governor of a new city needed an imperious manor that would show the wealth and power of the empire. But Dini had insisted on adding yet more of his own money so that the original plans for a larger manor were extended into a sprawling estate. The mansion was towards the top of the mound overlooking the new town – a long walk up the hill from Toma's previous villa, which still belonged to him and now housed his extended workforce of attendants and servants.

'It is more than I ever dreamed of,' Toma said, trying to grin, though his cheeks felt lax under the influence of the strong drinks he had consumed throughout the day.

Toma watched as Dini grinned. He only now noticed that two of the women's silks were so low on their chests that their breasts were exposed. But instead of flesh, he saw twists of intricate silver jewellery decorating their busts. The young man had the same silver jewellery around his slim, naked torso.

'Ah, you have finally noticed my gifts,' Dini said. He nodded to the two women dressed in exquisite Duro silks with dark, painted eyes. One had her hair high in tight curls while the other hand long hair that reached her hips in long waves. 'Oliva here is from Duro City and Vita here is from the western ruins, she was brought as a peasant to Adelmoville but I saw her from my carriage and decided to change her life for the better.'