Forty Three - Cassius

As my body became my own, I sucked in my first free breath, not understanding what had happened or where I was

As I breathed again, the smell was familiar, comforting. This was King's Moon lands. I was home.

But how?

My wolf howled his delight, our bond restored. Was I dreaming? Another cruel trick of the Jinn's

I listened to my own heartbeat and that of my wolf's. I sensed no darkness inside me. It was gone. The Jinn had left my body.

Opening my eyes, I blinked once... twice. The moon was high in the sky,

I could see? How?

Unable to come up with a rational explanation, darkness loomed, swirls of clouds blanketed the moon from sight. Blackness swallowed up the sky.

My wolf growled. A malicious entity descended. And I needed no confirmation; it was the Jinn.

'You are free my Alpha,' it whispered sending a chill to my aching bones as its form grew and changed.

Free?   That only meant one thing.

Pearl?   My eyes desperately searched for her. There! Pearl was but a short distance away. My heart sang out. She was okay.

A whoosh and an arctic coldness passed right through me. The jinn vanished.

Was I too late? My eyes cut to hers. A smile fleetingly crossed my lips but fell just as quick as an icy sensation frosted my gut.

The Jinn reappeared. Its black evil form engulfed my mate, stealing her from my view.

I cried out. I wouldn't let evil consume her. Attempting to stand, I stuttered forward, clasping my chest as Pearl's fear gutted me like a blade. Spikes of terror poured through our mate bond.

My gaze shot to Seth, who stood alongside my mate, but doing nothing to help her. I reached out to him. No response. "No, no. Run Pearl." I screamed out.

A pulse of energy vibrated through the air. A moment later, I could see Pearl's frightened face.

On wobbly legs, I pushed up from the ground only for my legs to give way.

Pearl's voice rose sharply. "Don't blame anyone but me for this. And just know I love you." 

What?    

Was that a goodbye? No, I wouldn't let her go.

I would end this. "Seth, don't let it—" I froze, something silver glinted under the moon's rays. It was a blade. "Seth!" My voice was gruff, but he didn't spare me a glance as he raised his hand.

My heart pummelled against my ribcage. A building force of adrenalin propelled me to my feet. Forcing my muscles to work, I drove forward.

It wasn't enough. The blackness was sucked into Pearl.