Alayna 1

Could this castle get any bigger? Alayna thought annoyed as ran up the steps leading into a long hallway where her bed chamber is at the other end. She finally enters her room and stops to see her handmaiden holding a dress, Your late, you must get dressed the guests will be here soon the maid complains. I know but I was in Taltown, the commoners were celebrating today's event. I haven't the slightest interest of what the commoners are celebrating, you are the Princess of Southernia! Your place is in this castle, not the castle's village.

You sound just like her. Who? Your mother? the maid asks. Who else would complain about me associating with the people we're supposed to care and rule for? Alayna asks all this while stripping of her common dress and putting on her celebration gown." Hush now, you shouldn't speak of her like that, she is the Queen. Yes thank you for that clarification Maeve. Do forget the attitude princess, I do not believe your father will think highly of it. Now he's the King correct? Alayna... Maeve says with contempt.

Forgive my daughter Maeve, a voice says from behind. Alayna spends around to see her mother standing in the doorway. She does not think before she speaks. Of course your majesty, Maeve says while she curtsy's. I would speak with her alone, the queen says strictly. Of course, Maeve curtsy's once more and then quickly rushes out of the bedchamber.

The queen walks further into the room and closes the door. You need to stop this nonsense at once! The queen says angrily. Stop what? Being overly amusing? No, being overly disrespectful!. Don't you have more queenly tasks to do mother? Or perhaps reprimand your other two children who aren't much better than I? The queen sighs Alayna please, you must be on your best behavior, tonight is crucial. Crucial? please! we do this Royal get together every four years, why is this time any different?

Because your father wishes to form a stronger alliance with one of the more wealthier kingdoms. Which one? Eastronvere the queen says. Alayna laughs, Father must have drank to much honey Mead before he told you that! And why do you say that? Oh come now mother, we both know the rulers of the east are not know for their cooperation. What could father possible have to make them consider a grand alliance? You... the queen nervously says. What...? He has you, your father and King William discussed of marrying you to his heir, the Crown Prince Alester.

I won't do it! You will if you want Southernia to continue to thrive, the queen strictly says. Darling listen, this marital alliance could greatly benefit the Four Kingdoms. How do you figure? Unless your marrying Tomen and Olyver to the other two kingdoms this will only reluctantly align ours and Eastronvere. Your father and I are hoping that if the other kingdoms such as Northrosi and Wesux see how well the kingdoms of Southernia and Eastronvere work together, they'll yearn for a strong alliance as well. It's a long shot. It's the only shot we have if we wish to stand against our greatest threat, the queen says with concern.

You mean The Upreniael Empire? Yes, your father fears the empire grows restless, after all it's ruled by a family of conquers and conquers are always looking for more... So I'm being forced to marry because of father's imaginary worries? Imaginary? the queen asks. The Four kingdoms have existed for five hundred years now, If the empire wanted our lands they would have taken them by now. Regardless, it's better to be safe then sorry Alayna. You will be sorry, I'm not marrying him mother. You will and that's final.

There's a knock at the door, Your Majesty, pardon the intrusion but the royal family of Eastronvere have arrived, the steward behind the door says. I'm warning you Alayna, this dinner must go without problem, the queen says sternly as she turns around and quickly exits the bedchamber. It won't be a problem for me... Alayna thinks mischievously.