Chapter 11

Venus looked in the rearview mirror at Leon. He was breathing slow and had his hand by the thorn in his side. Aelan was leaned on one shoulder, breathing quickly in pain as Nate leaned on his other arm, slowly falling asleep. She looked at Hael, who was looking out the window.

"I thought you said she worked in Chinatown?" she asked.

"She does." He said, turning to look at her. "She sells her stuff in batches. It takes her a while to get all of her elixirs and crystals and stuff all 'activated' or whatever. Alignment of the stairs and the waxing gibbous of the sixth moon and shit. She lives out here though."

Leon suddenly started coughing, making Nate wake up. Hael looked in the backseat as Leon move his hand, a discolored fluid in his palm.

"The poison is spreading." Nate said. "Are we almost there?"

"Should be soon."

After a few extra minutes, they turned onto a dirt road that went all the way back into a small clearing with a little house.

"Is she a hermit?" Venus asked.

"Practically."

"How did you even meet her?"

"HoroscopeMatch.com."

"And you didn't think you were going to get someone eclectic?"

"I was looking for someone a little less ordinary. As a dancer, you kind of end up with the same type of woman and so I was hoping for something a little different."

"You know Kaycey is into you, right?"

"Police station Kaycey?"

"Yeah."

"How do you even know Kaycey?"

"We became good friends by way of Leon, kind of like how she came to know you from your own escapades."

"Oh... Anyway, I thought she was just being friendly with me. She's nice to everyone."

"If you're talking about the nice lady from the police station then yeah, she's totally into you. I mean, she went to go get pizza for you while you were detained, man."

"See? Even your missing brother could tell. You really are quite dense."

"Stop arguing." Leon growled. "I'm in a lot of pain and I'm fairly certain that Aelan isn't just 'asleep', he's passed out."

"Right... Priorities..."

"Do you want me to come with you?" Venus asked.

"No, she'll think you're my new girlfriend or something. I have to do this alone."

He got out of the car and started walking up to the house. Venus looked at Nate.

"Nate, you should go with him."

"On it."

Hael knocked on the door and waited for it to open. A woman with black hair in two braids gave him a menacing look when she opened the door.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't Raphael Splinter himself. Coming to finally apologize?"

"Um... kind of? We need your help with something so... since what you do would probably help then, I guess."

"You guess?"

"Yes."

"You expect me to help you after you broke up with me and you don't even have the gall to apologize?"

"You broke up with me, Veronica."

"Logistical nonsense; what could I possibly do for you?"