21

"Ah, this place," Kaeya shivered. "It will always be so ominous." 

"Cold? Or intimidated?" Ajax snickered. 

"Would you believe me if I said both?" 

"No, considering both is also an act," Ajax started walking toward the path. 

"You don't believe I'm cold? Or intimidated? Whyever not?" 

"You've been here before. Likely scouted the scene. And, coldness doesn't appear to have any effect on you or you would've changed your revealing attire." 

"You say that but your lower torso is quite exposed. Or, are you going to blame that on your homeland?" 

"I consider this training."

"Liar," Kaeya laughed. "You've purposely left your clothing unbuttoned so I'm aware of the symbol on your neck and you've left the bottom of your shirt like that to show me his marks. I can assure you, this isn't some elaborate method so I can flirt with you." 

"And yet, here we are," Ajax looked over his shoulder. "You're flirting with me." 

"I apologize, it's an illness." 

"To flirt?" 

"I'm a chronic flirter. It is something I'm unable to overcome," Kaeya feigned defeat. 

"Who dares to approach Dragonspine?" an ominous voice echoed before Ajax and Kaeya reached the broken bridge. 

"Oh, this is new," Kaeya held his chin, staring at the mountain. "Is this one of those troll bridge scenarios?" 

"Ajax and Kaeya," Ajax answered the question. 

"State your business," the voice replied. 

"We are searching for someone," Kaeya spoke. 

"Joel's father has been returned." 

"Someone else," Kaeya smiled, placing his hand on his hip. "There is a certain individual that I believe may have had business on Dragonspine. Forgive us, but we shall be out of your hair as soon as we've investigated. We mean no harm. If anything, we may die before getting any of our answers." 

"Do as you will," the voice decided. The broken bridge emitted a golden light, allowing the two to cross. 

"This is..." Ajax stared at the light, feeling familiarity. It was eerily similar to Zhongli's abilities. Was there an archon on this mountain after all? Or, some other person that could use the elements? Whoever it was, they must be remarkable. 

"Well, let's go," Kaeya walked over the golden bridge without looking back. 

...

"Oooh boy," Kaeya held his knees and wheezed. How are you still able to keep walking this treacherous terrain?" 

"This really isn't anything to sneeze at," Ajax laughed. "I know you're acting again. You're not that tired, are you? You've probably analyzed every inch of this place. What are you really here for?" Ajax slammed his hand down by Kaeya's face, up against the pine tree. 

"You do have a point. I would have more luck searching for the king at Dawn Winery. If I happen to find anything related to his disappearance here, that's just a bonus." 

"You haven't answered my question." 

"I suppose," Kaeya smiled, "you could say I'm researching the wonderous and mysterious Dragonspine with a convenient excuse." 

"You," a quiet voice from behind the two of them spoke. He was calm and collected, with little emotion showing on his face. A diamond shape on the base of his neck. Ajax ceased pinning Kaeya to the tree. He turned slowly, skeptical of the stranger. How could someone live up here? 

"Oh shit," Kaeya clutched his chest. He wheezed. 

"Are you alright?" Ajax asked. 

"You two, what are you doing here?" the stranger asked.

"Why don't we build a fire and take a break for now?" Ajax asked. 

"Ahem," the stranger cleared his throat. Ajax and Kaeya turned their attention back to him. "Why are you on Dragonspine?" 

Kaeya separated himself from the tree but nearly lost his balance taking a step forward. "My apologies, I didn't mean to ignore your questions. We are here to search for a certain individual about this tall," he gestured with his hand, "and wearing quite a bit of green." 

"Perhaps I could help you search," the stranger offered. "Would you like to return to my camp with me? It is about halfway between the peak and the base. Follow me," he guided the way forward. 

"Are you okay?" Ajax watched Kaeya struggle to walk. "Were you really not acting?" 

"I have an affinity for the cold but the higher we go the more that this cold weather becomes dangerous. I am not immune to harsh conditions. Not to mention the Mondstadt climate has weakened my affinity." 

"I understand," Ajax nodded. "I would not survive long at the peak either." 

"Pardon my intrusion to your conversation," the stranger spoke, looking over his shoulder. "Would you care to introduce yourselves? My name is Albedo." 

"Kaeya." 

"Ajax." 

"Oh, is that your name?" Kaeya asked. 

"It is now." 

"What an interesting name...sounds very similar to- ah, sorry, my talking so much is annoying, is it not?" 

"How are we...going to cross that?" Ajax pointed at the broken wooden bridge. It was a long drop. A glance to the right and the back of a dragon covered the terrain. "What is-?!" Ajax stumbled back, falling into the snow. 

"Durin," Albedo spoke. "Do you not know the namesake of Dragonspine? A dragon by the name of Durin slumbers here. He is venomous and dangerous and it is unclear why he sleeps but this mountain serves as a blanket for him." 

"It's like living next to a volcano for the Mondstadt Kingdom. We pray the Barbatos can calm Durin as he calmed Dvalin in the past." 

"Branches of the Liyue Empire are also near here though..." 

"The Liyue Empire is safe under the emperor's rule," Kaeya chuckled. "Don't you know that better than anyone? The emperor's name, Rex Lapis, is a symbol of Morax's dragon form. If a dragon were to appear, the faith in Morax is strong even though he hasn't been seen in a very long time." 

"Let's cross," Albedo gestured to the wooden bridge that was now a golden pathway similar to the one Kaeya and Ajax first crossed to get to Dragonspine. The three crossed to a cave area carved out of the wall just off of the bridge. 

"This is..." Kaeya stared at the space in awe. He immediately entered the space, feeling the drastic shift in air. A very thin but sturdy barrier of gold acted as a wall between the cave and the harsh atmosphere outside. This convinced Ajax that Albedo used geo (if he wasn't convinced before). 

"Now, I am willing to help you," Albedo began, going over to his notes. "But, I request you do something for me first." 

"That sounds reasonable enough," Ajax nodded. 

"Wonderful," Albedo smiled slightly.