2.- SELECT YOUR HERO

Perspective Update: Seeing Aren.

Location: Overwatch HQ Watchpoint Gibraltar, Medical Bay.

When I opened my eyes, the light blue colors of the bed curtains made it pretty obvious that I was resting at the medical bay. 

What about the others?! Are they all right? I have to make sure.

An unsparing burden punished my body. A pain that demolished my will to move. It wasn't like before.

"Winston, I'm sorry I truly am, but this can't continue to go on." Was that Dr. Ziegler? "If it wasn't for the limiter, we could have been talking about some serious injuries to all the cadets!"

"I don't know what happened. The power readings showed no sign of real danger towards their life, until his attack hit Mei's wall."

It all made sense now. It wasn't Mei's fault. I'm the one who wasn't able to stop. I tried my best to remain quiet and continued to eavesdrop on their conversation.

"Wait, Angela, did you say all the cadets, even Aren?"

"Especially him."

Dr. Ziegler took a HOLO-PAD and activated the main screen. Through a small gap between the bed curtains, I could see the scan results: bone, nerve and muscle.

"I analyzed Aren's wounds after we found him for the first time at the attack on Paris." She took a moment before continuing. "Winston, the vibration from Aren's tech was so extreme that it melted his gloves with his hands permanently. Every time he uses, like today at the simulation room, it just forces a deeper and more painful bond with his flesh and bones. Besides, have you seen his eyes? And now—"

"And now this," Winston finished her line of thought, "all our new recruits down. How are they recovering?"

"They are all better, some minor cuts and bruises that I haven't disinfected and patched yet, but is best to let them rest for now," Dr. Ziegler approached Winston and put a hand on his shoulder, "listen, I know that you also want to rebuild Overwatch, but right now that isn't the mission. For now, we will have to make do with the current team. Aren is just—"

"I know," He sighed and cleaned his glasses, "I'll inform him of our decision."

"It's for the best, Winston."

It certainly was. I couldn't bear the idea of-of not being able to... stop. The sound of Winston's swift steps lined up with the drum thump coming out of my chest. Strangely, the commander of Overwatch never arrived.

Instead, a beeping sound came from the main screen. A report that caught Winston by surprise. "There's a Null Sector attack taking place at Route 66, America. Angela, are there any agents available right now?"

"No, just you and me, everyone else is on different missions but, you know I got your back." 

Dr. Ziegler's armor was simple. It consisted of white protection pieces and black joint covers. In her upper back a celestial shaped gliding-device made her appear as a savior, an angel. 

Her deep blue eyes remained anchored on my bed but she didn't notice my trust abuse. I only felt at peace when her shoulder-length blonde hair left the medical bay and the sound of a thunderous engine helped me get to the conclusion that they took flight towards Route 66. 

After debating with myself I decided it would be best to depart as well. There was no point waiting for the inevitable and I knew what failure felt like.