8.- THE SHIELD

Perspective Update: Seeing Brigitte Lindholm.

Location: Overwatch's Second-Troop Stealth Aircraft, Overflying The Outskirts of Gothenburg, Sweden.

A vigorous radiance forced my eyes open as the gleam of the moon filtered through the aircraft windows. It spread until creating an untainted canvas on the floor. Through shadows, nature painted the inhabitants of its green lands.

Those tall and rich epitomes of life extended their branches in cone-shaped blankets, pointing towards the sky. Like inviting me to strive for something better. At least, that's what I used to believe when I was little.

Rumblings of metal blended with the tremble of glass when Athena started a rather turbulent landing protocol. An uneven experience that obliged Lúcio to bounce out of his seat. I couldn't help it, but a small grin formed on my face at the sight of his reaction to this unexpected wake-up alarm.

It wasn't an easy flight for any of us. Several yawns served as proof of my troubled rest or rather the lack of it. I just couldn't stop circling the idea of seeing my family again. I haven't returned for a while now.

"Attention. We've Arrived At Slottsskogen Forest. Time 00:36 A.M.," Athena said over the intercom.

One by one, the members of the second squad got up from their seats and headed toward the descent platform. To what would be the start of a long thirteen-mile trek before reaching the city.

After a few seconds Reinhardt also emerged from the pilot cabin. Once again, the smile I'd grown so fond of was nowhere to be seen. Instead, his snow-white eyebrows intersected halfway across his forehead.

His several unsuccessful attempts to insert the fixing straps into the buckle frame of his shoulder protection proved that my fears weren't as misplaced as he thought.

With a soft touch, I indicated my mentor should sit in a nearby seat. The speed with which my hands worked on his silver armor didn't impress me. Lately, I've only been able to gear him up, but nothing more.

"Sure you don't want to sit this one out, Reinhardt?"

"Brigitte, you ask that every time, and every time I say no. Today is no different."

A fake laugh slowly vanished and merged with my breath. He's not wrong. I've lost count of how many times we've shared the same interaction before.

"If that's the case, then what should I focus on today?"

Reinhardt placed his hand on top of mine. The touch of his palm felt dry but warm, and his gaze met mine converging in a feeling that I've only experienced a handful of times. "Be the shield," he said.

The shield? My mind overflowed with questions. What does he mean by that? Do I need to focus on defending? From what? Am I missing something here?

Despite my urge to know more, I decided to not bother him with questions. Ever since I can remember, the scar that ran across his left eye was the only thing that made him look vulnerable, like the rest of us.

But now, it pained me to see his newly found marks as well as the unwelcomed trembles of pain and exhaustion. I always knew that someday his body wouldn't match his self-sacrifice lifestyle, but I'd never imagined that it would be this bad in such a short amount of time.

I could have prevented some of it, if only I could stay by his side at all times like I used to. No matter how I see it, it's all their fault.

The continuous action that Reinhardt has had with the main team since Overwatch's return, combined with the training sessions with the second squad that has been forced upon me, achieved something that I thought to be impossible.