The Christmas We Met

Chapter 1: The Christmas We Met

Since his mother's death, Christmas hadn't had much meaning for David Nolan. It was Christmas Eve and he was a single beat cop in Seattle, more specifically the troubled neighborhood of Hyperion Heights. For that reason, he offered to work that night to give a fellow officer with a family the night off.

This was David's first year on the force and so far, he had made quite a name for himself. He had stopped a couple robberies, a few muggings, and a potential sexual assault. He heard rumors that he had caught the interest of the notorious Captain Weaver and was on the short list to be fast tracked to Detective. But David didn't pay the rumors any mind. If a promotion happened, then it did, but he wasn't too concerned with it.

For now, he was just focused on getting through another Christmas alone. In many ways, since his mother died, he might as well have been an orphan.

His twin brother died a few years earlier. He had been involved in a seedy business deal that went very badly and was stabbed to death. David blamed their step-father, the powerful businessman, George Spencer, and owner of Spencer Industries. He was as dirty as they came, but like Teflon when it came to making any charges stick.

When David became a cop, George had officially disowned him, not that David cared. He had refused to have anything to do with the man since James died.

No, Christmas didn't have much meaning now that his mom was gone. Little did he know, that was all about to change on that night...

"Let go of me!" he heard a female voice demand and hurried into the alleyway, just in time to see a young woman stomp on the foot of her assailant and punch him in the face.

"You little...your father has ordered you home, Miss Blanchard and I'm not returning empty handed!" the man growled.

"You can tell my asshole of a father to go to hell...I'm not going back there!" she cried.

"HEY!" David called out, getting their attention.

"Good...Officer, maybe you can help me make this unruly girl go home to her father. Leopold Blanchard would be very grateful," he said. This earned him another whack from the fiery young woman.

"Woman..." she corrected in offense to being called a girl.

"She looks like an adult, or more importantly, as she said, a woman, which means you can't make her do anything. Now remove your hands or the only place you'll be going is jail," David warned.

"Maybe you didn't hear me, Officer. This is Leopold Blanchard's girl...the Leopold Blanchard that owns half this city," he reminded.

"I don't care who he thinks he is...if she doesn't want to go, then she doesn't have to," David refuted.

"My father may own this town...but he doesn't own me, despite everything he's done to try. If I could do what I'm about to do to him, I would, but since he's not here...you'll do," she said hotly, as she wound up to smack him with her bag. Unfortunately for David, the other man ducked and he was accidentally waylaid by her book filled bag. The man ran off and the young woman was horrified by what she had just done.

"Oh God...I'm so sorry!" she cried, as she helped him up.

"I'm under arrest, aren't I?" she asked. He chuckled.

"No...you didn't mean to," he said, as he got to his feet.

"Oh God...you're bleeding," she lamented, as she fished a tissue out of her bag and dabbed his chin.

"Who was that guy?" David asked.

"Just one of my father's hired thugs. He's mad that I refuse to make an appearance at another one of his horrible parties," she replied.