The Christmas We Got Snowed In

Chapter 9:The Christmas We Got Snowed In

"And if you're just joining us, there are no signs of this snow letting up any time soon. This is the worst snowstorm that Seattle has seen in more than thirty years. All flights are canceled and roads are closed. Travel is not advised. Please stay off the roads..." the meteorologist droned on, as Snow watched out the window of Roni's bar. Snow was coming down in almost sheets and she was nervously awaiting her husband's arrival, as was Roni. David and Rogers had been out on patrol and she told him that she and the kids were at Roni's. They would be snowed in here for Christmas, as there would be no getting back home. Luckily, they had brought Wilby with them. Her baby boy cooed in her arms and she kissed his head. Their son had been born ten months ago last February and they had named him Jayden James and often called him JJ.

The door finally opened, revealing her snow pelted husband and Roni's as well. They shut the door and shivered, as they started removing their wet coats.

"Oh...I'm so glad you're home," Snow gushed, as she balanced the baby on her hip and hugged him with one arm. He smiled.

"Me too," he agreed, as he hugged her and kissed the baby's head.

"Daddy!" Emma called.

"Papa!" Alice called, as well, as the two girls ran into their respective father's arms.

"Hey Princess," David said, hugging her tightly.

"Hello Starfish," Rogers greeted his daughter as well.

"Me and Mommy made cookies. And Aunt Roni is making cocoa," Emma announced.

"That's wonderful...because we're cold and starving," David said, as they managed to shed all the layers of wet winter wear and then found a booth in the bar.

"It's wicked out there," Rogers mentioned.

"We've already got out the sleeping bags and set up camp in the loft. And there's plenty of food to last us for a couple days," Roni replied. Rogers smiled and put his arm around her.

"Good...because there is no where I'd rather be," he said. As it continued to snow, burying the city in mounds of white powder, they headed up the loft for Christmas eve once Lacey, Weaver, and Gideon managed to make it. A snowstorm was going impede this family's Christmas Eve traditions. Once they were up in the loft, they had Roni's famous lasagna, as well as Snow's Christmas cookies, cocoa and eggnog. Then they continued their tradition of opening one gift on Christmas Eve.

Weaver opened an old fashioned antique pocket watch from Lacey. Gideon, the avid reader like his mother, was enthralled by the latest fantasy anthology from his parents. Lacey was over the moon about her new ruby earrings from her husband, while Rogers was showing off the antique sexton Roni had found for him, as Rogers loved to sail in his free time and when the weather permitted. Roni adored the new charms for her charm bracelet that Alice helped Rogers pick out too and Alice was excited with her new chess set. JJ caught onto tearing the paper off his gift very quickly and ahhed at his new play set, while Emma was ecstatic Paw Patrol toy. David loved his new sneakers and finally Snow opened a gift from him and gasped.

"Oh David..." she uttered, as she gazed at the picture frame and watched the pictures cycle through several different ones of them, their children, and family.

"It's a digital picture frame. I figured you'd enjoy having it on your desk at work," he said.

"I love it...thank you. I love you," she said, as she kissed him.

After gifts were opened, they all settled down in their sleeping bags and watched a Christmas themed movie. The kids were out before it was even halfway over, while the adults cuddled with their respective significant other. They may have been snowed in on Christmas, but this family barely noticed, for there was no other way they would wish to spend it than together...