The New Year's Eve We Hosted the Party

Chapter 12: The New Year's Eve We Hosted the Party

With another Christmas in the rear view mirror, they were once again looking ahead to New Year's Eve. Usually, they held their annual party at Roni's, but then they had a pipe burst, causing water damage in the bar. Fortunately, Roni's insurance was going to cover the damages, but she had to shut down for a few days for the repairs.

So Snow and David decided to host a smaller gathering at their house. It would still be a sizable gathering, but only people they knew and so far, about 40 people had responded affirmative to their invites. Alice was happy to watch Emma, Gideon, and JJ in the basement toy room and the little ones were happily entertained with some kids movies. Meanwhile, the adults mingled and while the men got competitive over darts, the women chatted and enjoyed Roni's drinks.

"Okay girls...it's time for a game," Snow's new friend Ruby said. They had met recently when Roni hired her to bar tend after firing her old one that was always hitting on Rogers and David. Not that either of them paid her any mind, but Roni had caught her stealing as well.

"Depends on the game," Snow said wearily. Ruby was also newly single and in her words "a bit hard up right now".

"If this game is going where I think it's going, then let's please not. There are things sisters should not know about each other," Roni protested.

"What she said," Snow agreed.

"Oh, I'm all in...especially if it means embarrassing these two," Lacey agreed.

"Good, cause we're going to play never have I ever," Ruby said.

"Never have I ever?" Aurora asked. She was one of Snow's young and naive teacher assistants at school.

"Wow...we need to give you an education, dear. Seriously...do you live under a rock?" Lacey commented.

"Lacey...she's just young," Snow chided. Ruby grinned deviously.

"Game time," she said.

"I am going to say some phrases and if you've done it, then you drink," Ruby explained.

"Well, this one is going to be stone cold sober," Lacey joked, referring to Aurora.

"Hey...I've done stuff," Aurora said awkwardly. Lacey chuckled.

"Sure you have, sweet cheeks," she retorted.

"Okay...never have I ever been caught in the act," she said in a saucy tone to her best friend.

"I hate this game," Snow groaned, as she took a drink. Curiously Roni took a drink too, as did Ruby, which didn't surprise her. But Lacey didn't.

"Oh please...you and Weaver have never been caught going at it?" Roni asked in disbelief. She shrugged.

"We're not teenagers in heat. We usually manage to make it into our home, before we ravage each other. Weaver is very...careful. His detectives may shag their wives anytime and anywhere, but he has a reputation to think about, you know," Lacey reminded.

"God the mental images and you just had to remind me of all the times I've walked in on my baby sister and her husband, didn't you?" Roni complained. Ruby snorted.

"Yeah...cause you're the only one that's walked in on them," the brunette said in amusement.

"Ruby..." Snow growled.

"If you tell me they did it on my bar, I'm killing you both," Roni warned, as Snow's cheeks flushed.

"It wasn't on the bar...but that poor corner table saw some action," Ruby revealed.