Chapter 8: Who are you?

The last time they rushed into battle unprepared,  all of them barely survived. The kids took extra precautions this time. People make mistakes, and they learn to grow from them.

While the kids were preparing themselves to go out, Lylia stayed back, writing a letter then giving it to her furry creature Gloom and it disappeared, leaving behind black smoke.

Lylia stood rooted in place, staring at the spot where Gloom disappeared, then sighed and folded her arms. It's been so long yet Cyclops and Diggie never responded to her letters, and it's already three months.

Not even a sign.

Lylia felt as if something wasn't right, what could be keeping Cyclops and Diggie? Was Gloom even sending her letters? Did he see what became of Cyclops and Diggie? She would ask him if she can, but she can't speak his language.

In her opinion, it was quite rude that they didn't answer her letters. Even if they were busy, they should at least give her a sign that they're still alive-

"Yo Lylia! It's time to venture off!" Wanwan squeaked, head peeked into the office.

Lylia got up from the chair and spun to Wanwan. "Alright, let's go."

She shut down her thoughts about Cyclops and Diggie and followed Wanwan out of the office. After the mission is done, she will open them again and start to think of a way to grab ahold of Cyclops and Diggie. When she does, she will throttle them both.

But now her job was to find Alucard, Granger, and Fanny since Dyrroth got the lead.

Dyrroth, Lylia, Ruby, Nana, Chang'e, Wanwan, Popol, and Kupa stood outside the pitch-black cave, trying to look inside it.

"Are they having a picnic inside?" Ruby muttered.

Popol swiveled. "You mean like, feasting?"

"And, you totally rephrased it into a lamer word."

"Picnic sounds weird."

"For barbarians."

Popol ignored her.

"Are we gonna go inside now?" Wanwan chimed.

"It's dark. We don't have a torch, and..." Lylia lit up her staff and pointed the light into the cave, which didn't light up. "Magic light won't work."

Popol turned away from the cave. "Okay, let's go."

Dyrroth put his hand on Popol's shoulder, stopping him. "No, look."

Everyone looked up at what Dyrroth was looking at.

An orange spark was above them. Slowly, it turned into a floating flame that hovered in front of them.

"Is this good, or is this bad?" Wanwan mumbled.

"It's alright, I don't know what it is, but it seems to be lighting up the way for us," Lylia pointed at the mouth of the cave and the inside of it was illuminated by the flame's light.

The group walked in without another word. The small flame followed them and illuminated their way. The walls were stone bricks that were covered in ivy, so was the floor.

All they heard was the sound of their footsteps and breathing.

Tick... Tack... Tick... Tack...

They stopped when the path split into two. All of them peered at it, then peered up at the small flame, which split into two one their cue. The kids looked back at the two paths.

"Split up?" Ruby suggested.

"But who's going with who?" Nana asked.

Dyrroth turned and observed his friends, fingers around his chin. He looked at Popol, then to his wolf, Ruby then to Chang'e, Wanwan then to Lylia and settled his eyes on Nana before saying: "I will go to the left side with Ruby, Wanwan, and Lylia. Popol, Kupa, Chang'e, Nana, go to the right path."