Chapter 17

"It doesn't feel right being back here."

Standing upon her boat alongside the northern river, Eternal Knight stared at the entrance to the island's center fortress, which felt just as unwelcoming as it did from her prior visit.

The henchmen standing atop the gate to The Authority stood there on guard in motionless, menacing stances. She couldn't tell if they were aware of her presence, and she couldn't be sure they would let her waltz back into their turf after having left it before. She sighed. "I intend to retrieve information from their leader on the whereabouts of my fellow knights," she said into the earpiece she had been given. She didn't want to go through the hassle of removing her helmet and risking her identity, so she kept it concealed in her hand. "Until then, the plan is that I will discover the whereabouts of your newly captured agents, correct?"

"And issue them the plan we have for their escape," Brutus said from the other end. "We have Jules, Meowscles, and Lynx waiting in the southern mountains to advance and attack at your call."

"And you're sure they will not suspect anything?" Eternal Knight started the boat. "I told your friend here that I want no part of this organization already. If she has spread the word to her leader, then I'm not so sure they will let me stay for very long."

There was a beat of hesitant silence, and she shook the earpiece, as if it would help with any connection issues. "If she knows it won't end well, Hazard won't talk," Brutus said in a hushed tone. "Since she sent you to us, she most likely counted on your involvement. If that's not the case, then you'll hold off as long as you can. Pretend to be one of them."

Eternal Knight sighed and hid the earpiece in her sheath. She pulled up to the dock and waited; one of the henchmen peered down at her and pointed their gun. "What business do you have here?"

She resisted an urge to laugh; her armor was forged out of strong metals by who she recalled was Black Knight. What could their bullets possibly do against it? "I am here to speak to your leader about a certain matter. I was here once before."

"Yeah? What matter?" The henchman challenged.

"A matter that does not involve you," she said with equal snark.

A familiar hood approached from behind the henchman and whispered something in their ear. The henchman shook their head, but after more prodding, they walked off, grumbling to themself. Hazard gave Eternal Knight a signal to get out of the boat. "You're back?"

"Temporarily," Eternal Knight said, dropping her voice to a whisper. She glanced around before pulling the earpiece out just enough so she could see it. "See, I've been sent to pretend to be one of your kind, as your leader seemed to trust me just earlier tonight. Different forces have the kitten covered, however, I must investigate the whereabouts of the other captured agents."

"Yeah, the tech guy messed something up and now they're all in the prison," Hazard said. "8-Ball and whoever the others are, some henchmen, I think. Easy."

Eternal Knight nodded and raised the earpiece. "They're being held in the prison. All four of them."

"I'll relay the information to Jules," Brutus replied. Eternal Knight glanced towards the southern mountains; another trio of agents were stationed somewhere among the trees, waiting for the word that they could strike.

She could leave, for she had done her part. She did not need to become further involved in this war, and she could now avoid choosing sides by getting out. But she had already promised GHOST her aid, and she had promised the young adventurer in particular that she would stick around for a little while longer. She couldn't dishonor that promise. She wouldn't.