Ease My Mind

Ease My Mind - Ben Platt

April Anderson is a quiet addition to the Avengers. With gifts of her own, a space was found for her and she found purpose within the team. However, when one mission determines that she cannot just sit on the sidelines this time, a certain Super Soldier is forced to accept that perhaps Miss Anderson is more than just the girl with the files. Perhaps she's always been more than just the girl with the files.

This was created based off of a conversation with a friend, and then built upon with the music of Ben Platt.

Content: SFW, some fluff

Word Count: 3871

"Hold the door!" April scuttled down the corridor, her arms full of files and a frantic look in her eye.

Three months in and she was still getting lost in this place. She'd turn a corner expecting to face Stark's office and find herself staring down the winding corridors of the sleeping quarters. She'd take the stairs to the basement level gym and end up in another of the labs tucked away beneath the surface. This place, she thought, is a constantly changing maze.

A steady hand breached the closing doors of the elevators just as she crashed her fingers against the button on the wall and the low chuckle from within set her skin on fire.

Shit. That little voice in her mind whispered. We could still take the stairs. Right?

"Miss Anderson." Blue eyes met her hazel and April felt the pink of her cheeks burning bright. "Up or down?"

"Erm." She stepped forwards slowly, taking up the space beside him and glanced at the panel of buttons. "I'm not sure."

"Lost again, huh?" His lips quirked into that warm signature smile of his and April dropped her eyes to the files in her hands.

Three months. Three months and she still couldn't look at the golden haired, sweet smiling, always lovely, Captain America. Not without turning into a melting pot of gooey, sickeningly lovesick, warmth and nerves. Pathetic.

"I'm meant to meet with Stark in five minutes," she murmured, shifting the weight of the mission reports in her arms as Steve nodded and pressed a button for her. "I could have sworn I'd gotten it right this time."

"Don't sweat it, Anderson," he chuckled. "This place is a maze. I get lost all the time."

That was a lie. April knew it. Steve was never late, never rushing, never flustered. He was intimidatingly calm and controlled. Intoxicatingly put together. And far too sweet to her to suggest he was anything on the contrary.

A thin silence settled over the pair of them as the elevator began its ascent and April chanced a glance over to him. Even in the harsh fluorescents he was shockingly beautiful. His jaw, chiselled to an almost painful level of perfection, was strong and set. And his eyes - those clear grecian oceans of blue and green mingling in easy waves - were sparkling with amusement. For a second she didn't breathe. She didn't dare to draw any attention to herself like this, watching him so blatantly. But his eyes flickered to her face for the briefest moment and as she turned away quickly she could have sworn she'd seen his smile turn into a smirk.

"Third door on your left." His voice was as smooth as silk and full of calm authority and April shuddered at the sound. "And he's in one of his moods today. Let me know if he says anything out of line, okay?"

When she laughed his face lit up. A smile so wide it left his eyes crinkling at the edges slipped over his lips and April stepped forwards, desperate to escape the rising ache she felt in his presence. Did he not realise why she was such a blustering fool every time he was around? No. Of course not. Because he'd never seen her not tripping over her words and fumbling with files and making an enormous fool of herself.