Chapter 1

A/N: Let me sneak this short 2-parter in the series. 

Pt 10 of the That universe where Karma and Asano are brothers and everyone else suffers because of it.

***

Gakushuu supposed he was lucky that their father was so invested in his future, or at least that was what he told himself when he was nine years old and their dad was planning out his future for him and his little brother Karma.

He glanced at his little brother who was fidgeting at the desk next to his, the two of them in the study room on a warm Saturday morning.

Their father was busy writing on the blackboard, listing the different activities and grades they'd need to get into the right university to propel them onto a successful career path.

"Tōgyō University would be a good fit for you, Karma," Their dad said, writing on Karma's section of the board. "You'll need plenty of connections to get into politics."

Karma hummed, kicking the air, distracted easily by the pencil he was fidgeting with. "Where's Tōgyō University?"

"It's in Nagoya, it's a large city," Gakushuu answered.

"Oh." Karma frowned, twirling the pencil around. "That's cool, I guess."

"We'll need to have backup options of course, but the main goal is the same." Their dad circled the university. "Tokyo University would be the best fit for you, Gakushuu."

Gakushuu frowned, staring at the board, something about it not feeling right. "What about international universities?"

Their father stopped writing on the board, chalk pressed against the blackboard. "...Why would you wish to study so far away?"

He tensed and clenched his hands tight when they grew clammy. "It's just there's more options." He swallowed a lump in his throat. "And you're always saying we should aim for the best."

"Yeah," Karma agreed, frowning. "Why can't we go—?"

"Because there's no need to." Their dad's voice sharpened, silencing them both. "Adjusting to university is a bothersome task in itself, there's no need to complicate it further by travelling to a foreign country where who knows what could happen."

Gakushuu's brow furrowed, sharing a wary look with his brother.

"But, you said when we're older we'll be strong enough to face anything," Karma spoke up, fidgeting more in his seat.

Their father finally turned around to look at them and sighed. "Yes, ideally you should be well equipped to graduate from my teaching when you turn eighteen, but adulthood does not guarantee strength, especially if you both fail to meet my expectations."

Gakushuu felt his stomach churn at the thought of being under his father's thumb well into adulthood. Even though their dad was doing what was best for them it was still suffocating. There was a rule for everything, for things he hadn't even thought of.

There was always a test or a task that needed completing. A new lesson to learn and a rule to follow every single day, to the point it was exhausting and it felt like he couldn't breathe—

"Gakushuu, I asked you a question." Their dad's voice made him jump.

Gakushuu cringed, realising he'd spaced out for too long and lost track. "...I was just thinking."

Their dad sighed in irritation. "I was asking why you would even want to go to a university in another country?"

He hid his grimace and sat up straighter. "Well, it would be interesting experiencing another country's culture and an international university could have more opportunities." He looked at him warily. "Isn't that why you went to Harvard?"