Chapter 2

A week had passed and he still hadn't handled it.

"So, how has this week been for you both?" Their therapist, Dr Takahashi, asked during their family session.

"Oh, it's been going well," their dad replied brightly. "We're planning to do mini-golf next week"

Both Karma and Gakushuu exchanged a look.

"Really?" Dr Takahashi replied, glancing at the boys. "That sounds exciting."

"...Yeah," Karma commented dryly. "It's fantastic."

Their therapist hummed, glancing at their dad and at the two of them again. "Anything else?"

"Well, dad is planning on stalking us to college," Karma commented.

"I'm not stalking you both." Their dad sighed, frowning. "Karma's just wary since I'll be renting an apartment inbetween both of their universities."

Dr Takahashi stared at him for a moment. "You're planning on moving closer to the boys once they leave home?"

"Well, we've made so much progress." Their dad's frown deepened. "I don't want our bond to weaken when they both go off for college."

"I see." Their therapist hummed, writing something down in her notes. "And you believe moving closer to them will help keep that intact?"

"Yes, of course," their dad replied, nodding.

Dr Takahashi stared at him for a moment. "...Interesting." She wrote something down in her notebook. "And, how do you two feel about this?" she asked Gakushuu and Karma.

"That our dad is a creep," Karma replied bluntly.

Gakushuu hesitated, tapping his finger on the armrest. "It does seem a little...much."

"And, would you want your father to be so close?"

"No," Karma answered bluntly.

Gakushuu stayed silent, feeling like there was a weight pressing down on his chest when he saw the disappointed look on their dad's face. "...I don't know."

Their dad frowned. "I thought you said you were fine with the idea? You said everything was fine."

Gakushuu grimaced, looking away. "Everything is fine, it's just...um..."

Why couldn't he just say it!? It was like his mouth wouldn't form the sentence.

"Gakushuu, would you like to pause the session?" she asked.

"No," he replied quickly, feeling ill as the truth weighed on him more. "It's fine."

Karma sighed. "Will you stop saying everything's fine?"

Gakushuu kicked his leg. "Shut up."

"You shut up." Karma kicked him back.

"Boys," their dad snapped.

Dr Takahashi sighed. "Let's not get distracted." She focussed on their dad. "Mr Asano, do you think this need to be close to your sons stems from your abandonment issues after your divorce?"

There was a long pause as their dad seemed unsure how to respond.

"...No," their dad replied after a moment.

"Bullshit," Karma swore.

"Karma." Their dad chided.

Their therapist sighed. "Alright, then would you consider that perhaps another reason may be that you're afraid of your children leaving and never coming back."