Miguel and Rosa

Miguel Rivera liked spending time with his cousin, Prima Rosa. She often teased him since she was a year older than him. They had their differences in things but still enjoyed being in each other's company. One reason for this was because they were the only ones in their family who were of the same age group.

The cousins' lives changed when it came to music. Miguel always had a special connection with music, even though it went against the family's centuries-long music ban. Because of something that occurred a long time ago, music was kept out of the Riveras' lives. Everything changed one night during Dia de los Muertos (the Day of the Dead), when Miguel went through an odyssey in which he discovered the truth behind his family's legacy. Through many trials and tribulations, the ban was officially lifted. It was the proudest moment of Miguel's life.

Even though she never admitted it, Rosa also had a special place for music. Sometimes, while at school, she would stop by the music room and listen to the sweet sound of violins being played. She really wanted to learn how to play but couldn't because of the ban. She also suspected that Miguel was hiding something since she would often see him sneak off to Mariachi Plaza to shine shoes.

On that Dia de los Muertos, Rosa was surprised when Miguel's secret was revealed but also disappointed because she knew the family would not approve. While everyone else was upset with him, she actually felt sorry for him. When he ran away and the family tried to find him, she really wanted to be by his side and support him. She even went to Mariachi Plaza because she'd recalled Miguel mentioning something about a talent competition going on and hoped she would find him there. She asked if anyone had seen him but to no prevail.

The family searched the entire town but couldn't find any sign of Miguel. When late night came, they decided to call off the search until the next morning. Before Rosa went to her room, she stepped on something that felt hard and picked it up. It was the headstock of Miguel's makeshift guitar: wood painted white that looked like a skull with a gold tooth. It was all that was left after her Abuelita Elena smashed the guitar to smithereens. Rosa figured she must've missed it after sweeping up the pieces. As she stared at the headstock, she honestly didn't want to believe music was a curse that tore her family apart. Before Miguel ran off, he said he no longer wanted to be a part of the family. Hearing her primo say that struck a chord in Rosa's heart as it did with everyone else. Did he really hate the family that much he no longer wanted anything to do with them? The mere thought saddened Rosa even more. She loved Miguel and didn't want anything bad to happen to him. As a single tear ran down her face, she grasped the headstock tightly in her hand, hoping he was safe and sound wherever he was. She then put it in her pocket and went to bed.

The next morning, Rosa heard some commotion going on outside. Miguel had returned and locked himself inside of their Mama Coco's room. When Abuelita unlocked the door and the family rushed into the room, Rosa saw that he was deeply upset about something. But then he started singing while playing a fancy-looking guitar similar to the makeshift one. By an unforeseen miracle, Mama Coco started singing, which completely shocked everyone, and she was able to remember everything about her family, including her absent father Hector Rivera.

Rosa was fascinated by what had transpired but also curious. Whatever happened to Miguel that night somehow brought a long-awaited sense of relief and new life into the family. She was glad her primo was back home and that he would never leave the family again.

Sometime after the ban was lifted...

One day, after coming home from school, Miguel grabbed his Papa Hector's guitar and went to the courtyard. He was glad he no longer had to hide his love for music or live in fear. He sat down on the boarded well and tuned the guitar. He noticed a food bowl sitting on the ground with the name "DANTE" painted on it. He hadn't seen much of his Xolo dog friend nowadays since he was now an Alebrije of the Land of the Dead. "This goes out to you, amigo," said Miguel.

He then started playing an acoustic melody. A few seconds after he'd started, he heard a voice that said, "Hey," He stopped and turned to see Rosa standing by holding a violin and a bow in her hands. "Mind if I join you?" Rosa asked Miguel.

"Sure," he said. "You've gotten use to the violin?"

"Yep." Rosa made her way towards the well. "I've been practicing during my free time from the workshop."

Miguel moved to make room for Rosa. "Let's hope it can match my years of secret learning," he teased.

Rosa sat down. "We'll see, primo," accepting the challenge.

Miguel waited as Rosa tuned her violin. He readied his guitar. "Ready?"

Rosa readied her violin. "Ready."

Miguel started playing with Rosa following lead. As they'd played, it felt like the world had stopped moving and the only inhabitant was music. The combined melody of guitar and violin brought a harmonic essence to the courtyard.

The cousins soon finished their duet. They sighed with relief after playing their final notes.

"That felt muy bueno," said Miguel.

"Si, it did," said Rosa.

They set their instruments down on the ground, placed an arm around each other's shoulder, and looked up at the evening sky.

"You play amazingly, prima."

"You too, primo."