XIII

"You nearly killed her."

"I... can't say I didn't mean to... I meant every word... I wanted her to hurt."

"You loathe her?"

"... maybe not... that part."

"Where do you think you are departing to at this hour?"

"You can have her... I don't want her."

"Is this not the mistake you made last time? Did you not yell at her and lose her? Xander if you do this now you prove to her that she means nothing to you now, that she meant nothing to you then and every word you uttered upon mourning your supposed loss-."

"She needs to understand she cant keep treating me like shit, I wont fucking stand for it-."

"She's a child... Sit down."

"I don't want to be lectured at this hour..."

"It seems you are long overdue for one. That girl is the only thing you have left of the EnderKing and Queen and you and I are both very much aware that she means more than the world to you. She may infuriate you; she may bring you to a point of wanting to abandon her. Nevertheless you have already done that, and it brought you nothing but pure misery and anguish. Just as you were hurt, I am certain she was hurt too in fact she may even so still be hurt. Caitlynn, whether you are willing to accept it or not, is a child at heart. Yes, she may be coming of age but she grew up with little to no guidance, all she seems to be aware of is her title and that many of our kind fear her. That's more than enough to get to her head. She has no idea what she is doing. And I think it's time you step in. You are the closest thing she will ever have to a father figure and a companion... Appreciate it. Do not dare step out now, it is a miracle you found her once... given she was near death. You may very well lose her a second time and not be as lucky as to find her again."

"I just want to take her home..."

"Is that truly what you desire... to take her back to a home she's long abandoned... watch her marry a man she'll never love... and to be replaced by someone far less capable than you?"

"That's not my choice to make-."

"You are her Guard... Your word comes before the council, my friend. The king and Queen assigned you to protect her not the Council... They trusted your judgement."

"I don't want to be near her right now..."

"Go take a walk. I will tend to her wounds and watch over her until you return. I trust by then you will know what to do."

This chapter is meant to be short as I wanted it to be purely dialogue
The next chapter will be longer :) 

Thank you for reading!  

-----

I might change the format of the chapters, as well as chapter titles.
I am also going to be changing the cover because I made a huge mistake using this artwork. 

Credit to: https://www.deviantart.com/spindelle

She copyrighted her work and I had no idea.