5 - Hospital Brawls

Hospitals at night felt so very creepy

Hospitals at night felt so very creepy. Metropolis Health Center was no different. As their odd group snuck down the hallways, which still had some nurses and doctors, Clara felt an unsettling chill in her heart. She put it down to the task at hand and not her devastating fear of horror movies.

They ran down another corridor till they finally came to a stop in front of the room they were looking for.

John opened the door and entered, the rest of them following right behind. As Clara stepped in last, she quickly turned around and closed the door. John nodded in thanks.

"This him?" He voiced out grimly, staring down at the patient tied to the bed. The man looked broken and without hope, and his eyes were open and vacantly staring at the ceiling.

"Father of the year," John continued. "I'll need the gear now."

Bruce pulled out an intricately designed coin from under his cape, handing it over to him. "How does this work?"

"It's basically a magical shortcut," John explained, tossing the coin in the year. "It lets me access different planes of existence without doing twenty odd hours of incantations. In this case, I'll poke around this poor sod's memories to see how his madness began and more importantly, what caused it."

Ah magic, Clara thought. It was a fickle thing. Even when you think you had things easy, magic would throw a challenge right back at you, making things complicated. Rituals like the ones John was doing were just some of those things.

John walked to the man laying on the bed and put the coin on his forehead. It seemed to glow with a golden light just for a moment. But then the light turned purple and the coin disappeared, giving them a glance at the man's mind and the memories that lay within. Then out of nowhere, the door swung open and a nurse peered into her room.

"What are you doing here?!" The surprised nurse spoke, looking straight at John and not at the two members of the Justice League. "I'm calling security."

She turned on her reel, ready to run off, but Boston quickly hovered to her body and possessed her, taking over her soul. "I'll make sure the looky-loos stay out of our hair."