Negative Impacts of Cellular Phones(Argumentative Essay)

Since the beginning of the twenty-first century, the use of cell phones has increased, and scientific research into their impacts has accelerated. Low-power, single-channel two-way radios are found in cellular phones, whereas low-power multi-channel two-way radios are found in cell phone base stations. As a result, base stations emit radio-frequency radiation, which is emitted to persons in the vicinity. Additionally, there are around 5 billion cellphone users globally, and this number continues to rise as each generation passes. These cellphones emit EM waves, specifically non-ionizing radiation, which is said to be too low to cause harm, but according to recent studies, long-term exposure can cause oxidative damage to living organisms and pose a threat to our environment.

     Cell phones generate EM waves that can disrupt people's health, and the brain receives roughly 220 electromagnetic impulses per minute, which are not very dangerous but can induce brain damage over time. According to Rajeev Singh's 2018 study, radiofrequency radiation (RFR) is the electromagnetic energy emitted by these cell phones, which might cause cancer and DNA or chromosomal damage in humans. There are two direct ways that RFR exposure can affect health: thermal (heating) effects caused by holding cell phones close to the body and non-thermal effects. Furthermore, a 2020 study by Rajiv Saini stated that lower intensity exposures can cause dysesthesia, noxious sensation disturbances, while high-intensity exposures can cause nerve damage. Other studies also have found that prolonged exposure to cell phones can cause two types of brain cancer, glioma, and acoustic neuroma, as well as affect our nervous system, causing headaches, decreased attention, irritability, sleep disorders, and depression, especially among teenagers. The High Energy Visible (HEV) light in cell phones can also cause harm to the retinal tissues. In October 2019, National Toxicology Program (NTP) published an article evaluating DNA damage in three brain regions, the liver, and blood cells in rats and mice who were removed from the ongoing 2-year toxicology study at an earlier time point. If DNA damage isn't repaired, it can lead to malignancies. Additionally, cell phone radiation has now been categorized as probably harmful by the International Agency for Research on Cancer. Children are more likely than adults to acquire brain tumors because of their cell phones. This is because their heads are smaller than adults' and hence have a higher likelihood of being exposed to the radiofrequency radiation generated by cell phones.

     Another effect of excessive usage of cell phones might lead to psychological issues. Based on the Journal of Child Development 2017 study cell phone overuse can cause sleep problems in teens due to blue light, which suppresses melatonin, a hormone that helps control your natural sleep cycle, which can lead to depression, anxiety, and acting out. Additionally, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders showed that there are some similarities between cell phone overuse and behavioral such as loss of control over the behavior and a neurotransmitter which is responsible for both, called dopamine, is responsible for the cause of this obsessive behavior. According to Joshua Owolabi's survey, RFR exposure-related consequences included tiredness (69.6%), attention deficit (69.1%), headache (62.4%), poor mental health (47.6 %), sleep disturbance (37.8 %), disorientation, and behavioral abnormalities (usually, 35.8 %).

     Not only may cell phones have negative biological and psychological impacts on us, but they can also have an impact on our environment. Increased use of cell phones may result in increased production, which may contribute to climate change owing to greenhouse gas emissions. According to the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), producing a single cell phone creates around 60 kg of CO2e, while using a cell phone for a year produces approximately 122 kg of CO2e. To put it in context, the CO2 emissions per subscriber per year for a typical 3G system are like driving a car for 250 - 380 kilometers or consuming 19 - 21 gallons of gasoline. McMaster University researchers have discovered that cell phones with bigger screens have a significantly higher carbon footprint than their smaller counterparts. Similarly, recent research on iPhones found that the manufacturing stage accounts for more than 60% of the greenhouse gas emissions created over the product cycle. Another 30% is contributed by usage and upkeep, with the remaining funds going to packing, distribution, and disposal. Because a new iPhone is created every two years, the entire process contributes significantly to greenhouse gas emissions. Furthermore, it has been shown that newer iPhone models emit more carbon than previous models.

     Despite the negative consequences, evidence suggests that cell phones have improved the lives of millions of poor people by increasing their access to education, weather information, and critical business and healthcare knowledge from even the most remote locations. Contrary to the biological effects of radiofrequency, these frequencies all fall in the non-ionizing range of the spectrum, which is low frequency and low energy. The energy level is inadequate to harm DNA. Though according to the American Cancer Society, it is unclear if RF waves from cellphones can cause negative health effects, further studies show the possible harmful effects of it in the future.

     Cell phone exposure has increased with each generation, and the negative effects are now being noticed. RFR and HEV light are two of the most significant contributors to its negative effects, which include the production of cellular phones because of emissions that cause climate change. However, some studies claim that there is no link between cancer and cell phone use, while others disagree. No one knows for certain what effect cellular phones have, but we do know that too much of anything can be harmful to us.