That Cliche Happy Ending

Of course Rouxls was practically dragged, and shoved into the room. Made for an awkward look from some of the other kings, but whatever. Though now he was on the verge of melting from the embarrassment there. Berdly didn't actually go into the room though- this is all Rouxls.

"Again?! It's the same fucking day!" The large spade shouted, clearly not happy. This will be fun. He even stormed up to the bars to get that extra layer of death glare.

"Yes, well. I want to talk to you about something. I have put it off for way too long I feel. And it's clearly messing with you more than I thought-" Rouxls responded, recoiling a bit in case a tongue decided to get whipped at him. Somehow it didn't, thank goodness.

"Right. I barely even remember life besides being abandoned by the light. Are you just going to taunt me more by looking like someone I cared for? Before he left me too?" The man snarled. The spite level is high right now, but it's now or never. And also Berdly will not allow for a bail. Probably.

"It- it's about that actually. The second one. I- I know you don't remember. But you told that man to flee. To run away from the castle, so you wouldn't hurt them again. You accidentally attacked him, and you never wanted to see such pain inflicted by yourself. So you told him to leave. For his own safety. He didn't leave you behind, Speare. He never forgot either." Rouxls began, slowly approaching the bars. He was still wary in case of an attack.

"That... would make sense. So why did he never return? Why did he get left behind when the fountain was destroyed, to be erased from the face of existence? Or did this world want me to suffer the loss of the one person I could still fucking remember?!" The king shouted, shaking one of the bars. It made a horrible rattle, but remained intact.

"He wasn't left behind. And he did return. Several times, trying to return to your side. But he... he was never able to. It was always too dangerous." Rouxls continued, saddened. And secretly afraid. He has no idea how this will turn out. And Berdly is on edge too, he can even tell from here.

"Then how about this? How the fuck do you know? You are nothing. You are a farce. A torture method for my mind! What's left of it!" The spade cried out, hiding the tears from his memories. The few that remained.

Rouxls didn't respond immediately. He put a hand over the left side of his face, stopping his gait inches from the bars. He put focus into even this small, and temporary change. He can't keep it. Too risky. But when he moved his hand, the small spade symbols were present on his cheek and in his hair. Said hair was in the style Speare recognized. "Because I am him. I was too afraid to reveal my name. Afraid you'd been lost to the fountain's surge..."

That side of his face quickly began to deteriorate in stability, so he covered it again. He really can't keep it long. But it was clearly enough. "I-I can't change back. I may lose form altogether. But it's still me. I can't even keep that small bit-" A large hand was suddenly over top of his. A similar glare was still in the hidden eyes of the king, but it was softened. He remembers.

"Then don't. Just knowing you're okay is enough. But I already know I'm not going back to the old me. The one you probably remember. But this... this will work. This small amount of memory. Of happiness. It's more than I need." Speare explained, finally letting up with the glare. This is the closest he will get to what he lost.

Rouxls went ahead and reverted that change, deciding to sit down and lean against the bars. This will work. It's not the old days... but it's something. It's there. It's that little bit of memory that stayed. Speare followed suit, accepting that this is the closest the two can get now. But it's not a world apart, or worse- one being forgotten. They still remembered each other. Even through everything that happened.