III

Onika Tanya Maraj

Onika stared at herself in the mirror trying to see if she should tuck her colorful button up  in or keep it out. She didn't know which one looked more professional.

It is just an arts and crafts store after all so she decided to go with untucked. She took a deep breath.

"You've got this! You're gonna get the job!" She said to herself in the mirror and after staring at herself for a full 5 seconds she folded.

"Who am I kidding? I'm probably gonna blow it.." She sighed. She was still standing in the mirror and let out a frustrated groan. She looked around for her lanyard and placed it around her neck.

She grabbed her phone and locked her apartment on her way out. She was nervous but as she made her way to her car she kept repeating the mantra,

"You've got this."

.
.
.

"So your names Onika?" Onika nodded looking at the woman interviewing her. Onika took in the fact that she was really pretty with tight curls.

"Well my names Kelly, our manager can't interview you right now—something with her probably non existent husband—in my opinion i think she has 3 cats and calls them her family." The girl whispered and Onika smiled—she thought she was kinda funny already.

"Well just follow me." She instructed and Onika did just that as they walked through the store and into what Onika assumed to be managers office.

She saw Kelly sit across from her and get comfortable. She flashed Onika a smile, it made Onika a little at ease. Atleast she wasn't intimidating.

"Alright, so..how old are you? Do you go to school?" She asked and Onika nodded and the quickly scrambled for an answer remembering she actually has ti speak.

"I'm uh—19." Onika gulped and looked down at her hands. She couldn't help how nervous she was—she peered up at a curious looking Kelly.

You've got this

"I attend Brown University it's uh around—" Kelly cut her off immediately. "I know where Brown is! Me and all my friends go there!" She said excitingly. Onika looked up in slight surprise.

"Brown huh? So you're like super smart right?" Kelly asked and Onika shrugged. "Oh I get it, your probably modest—but that's cool. We have something in common!" Kelly expressed.

"Okay—next question; Why are you interested in working here?" Kelly asked and Onika didn't really know how to respond; she knew what she should say but she wasn't exactly sure at the same time.

Kelly could see Onika was overthinking she saw the girl fidget. "Hey, you don't have to be so nervous ya know. I'm not gonna scream and yell at you if I don't like your answer. Go with the flow." Kelly said and Onika nodded slightly.

Kelly didn't seem mean, nor was she intimidating; two factors that helped lower Onikas anxiety a little.

"I.." Onika started off and Kelly smiled encouraging her answer.

"I-I really like art. S-So ya know I thought why not work at an arts and crafts store? I uh—I also thought i'd get a discount for supplies—I'm in an Art major and a separate art class and supplies can be expensive so I thought this job could save me money while providing me with money." Onika finished. She was proud when she realized she didn't stutter that much.

Onika looked up at Kelly who was smiling bright.

Kelly leaned in over the desk, "I like you Onika. You seem smart as hell, plus your cute! I think we'd be great friends—and co-workers. You got the job." Kelly said and Onikas face lit up to show her dimples.