CHAPTER 1

" I remember that day", said grandma, as the wooden chair rocked back and forth, her eyes were closed as her hands worked in a rhythm knitting a hat.

 It was starting to get dark. Days here in Kinbain are shorter while nights are long.

"Really?", asked a curious Eoifee (ee-fa). 

 "Yes, Of course, I do, he was very tiny, cried a lot though." said grandma.

"Still does", Eoifee remarked snidely. 

" Very funny", Oisin (Osh-een) rolled his eyes.

He was no longer a tiny baby, he had become tall and skinny. Oisin and his sister were perfect examples of opposites. Not only because they looked different- her hair being black- but because they had completely different personalities, Oisin liked peace while Eoifee was a social butterfly. The only thing that they had in common was their parents.

"Eoifee, do not tease your brother", said grandma trying to keep her face straight. Her wrinkled face looked peaceful and her eyes twinkled. She was a strong woman, rather she made herself strong for the sake of her grandchildren.

PTEEEEEEEE-, their conversation was interrupted by the whistle of the kettle.

"Oh no!", Grandma complained, as she slowly made her way toward the wood-burning stove 

"Go, get your mother", she told the children. 

The room was silent. The sibling went straight to their mother's room, Oisin taking the lead while Eoifee trailed after him.

The door to her room was left ajar; their mother was sitting on the floor her legs folded under her while her face dripped with tears. Her once neatly combed auburn hair had turned into an unkempt mess. She had once been a beautiful woman, however, she had become thin over time. Her hand clawed at her dress and she bit her lower lip shaking violently.

"Mother?", Oisin mumbled. 

Their mother swiftly turned her head.

" Is he back?", was all she said. 

Oisin shook his head.
The moment their father had left the house had affected all of them, but, his mother got the worst of it. Ever since he had left, she kept herself locked in her room only coming out to eat once or twice. She was no longer her cheery self, which, scared Oisin. Even Eoifee kept her distance. 

"No, not yet", Oisin replied softly. 

" Why did he do this to me- to us", he heard her mutter. 

"Why are you here?", she asked, her voice hoarse. 

" We were here to ask if you would like to join us for supper"

"I am not hungry"

" Now go, Please", said she. 

The siblings just nodded because arguing with her was of no use. This was how their conversation went. His Mother reminded Oisin of glass, at how even the mention of his Father would leave her shattered to pieces.

They closed the door and walked towards Grandma who was filling their bowls up with broth.

"Is she not hungry?", asked Grandma slowly walking towards her grandchildren

"She isn't", replied Oisin his head held low in defeat. 

"Alright, your mother can be stubborn."

" I wonder how long this will last", said she handing out the bowls . 

The climate in Kinbain is very cold, not a lot of vegetables could be grown so they had to feed on meat. They ate their dinner in silence. But Oisin had something else on his mind, he didn't remember his father being only six years old when he left. He grew up to despise him, he blamed him for leaving grandma, for his mother's current state, and for their poverty. He couldn't understand how someone could be so irresponsible. He never really knew the reason for his father to abandon them. 

He had tried asking grandma but she had waved him off. Asking his mother didn't look like a good option. He had tried once which, left her in tears. With all of these thoughts eating up his mind he didn't realize that his bowl was empty.

Going to sleep wasn't easy. He was shivering. They slept on mats, beds were seen as a privilege. They had once lived a life of luxury, but with his Father leaving and Grandma's illness they had to sell most of their funiture for a living. They continued living in the same house, though, it no longer radiated happiness like it used to. It was said that they were descendants of the Mighty Gaelic. The house was an heirloom. 

The door creaked as Eoifee entered the room. 

"Grandma is going to tell a story!", Eoifee exclaimed. This made his mood brighten up. He grinned as grandma entered the room with a candle in her hand. 

"Which one?", Grandma asked,  slightly wincing as she sat down. 

"The one about the curse?", Oisin suggested. 

"fine"

"Many years ago, there lived a beautiful maiden. She was so beautiful that she was believed to be a child of the goddess Cliodhna (clee-a)", Grandma began.

 "Men from distant lands would come to ask for her hand in marriage. One of the men was the then king of kinbain, Cillian III (kill-e-an), he was a man of multiple talents", she remarked.

" The great wizard Garret also had an eye for the young maiden", her tone deepened. 

"Cillian and the wizard had always disliked the other. Their love for the maiden only made it worse. . ."

 "They decided to have a duel. Both fought gallantly, However, Garret lost" Grandma adjusted herself on the ground.

 "The maiden was married off to the king. Garret, unable to accept his defeat cursed the entire village with an everlasting winter", she finished.

 No matter how many times he had heard the story, it always managed to intrigue him. Oisin could hear Eoifee's soft snores.

 "I have a question", said Oisin. 

"Yes?"

" Is there a way to break the curse?", Oisin asked.

"NO, there isn't, this is how it was and how it will remain", Grandma replied, her tone suddenly angry. 

"but-"

"you better go to sleep", Grandma cut him off blowing off the candles.

 Oisin wasn't satisfied with the answer. His mind swarmed with questions until he was put into a deep slumber.