CHAPTER 2

"How much longer?", Oisin whined.

"Just a few more miles, we are almost there", Grandma replied, wiping the sweat off her forehead. The snow did not make their hike easier.

They were going to the market. They sold sweaters knit by Grandma for a living. Oisin would accompany his grandmother while Eoifee stayed home looking after their mother. Clouds of fog were released as he heaved. Grandma didnt look too happy either, her breath becoming laboured every second. Grandma never complained though. She continued to work with dedication.
She was the bread winner after all. She had to put on a strong face.

Oisin was lost in his thoughts, still thinking about the story and how grandma had suddenly lost her temper. He strongly believed that every problem had a solution and so did the curse, but, finding it would be difficult.

He was so immersed in his thoughts that he didn't realize they had reached the market.

It was an ordinary place but the people there certainly weren't. The undulated anow covered ground had been converted into a labyrinth of canopies by the locals. The canopy nearest to Oisin belonged to a butcher, he had a large belly, a thin mustache, and was fondly known as uncle Murphy by everyone in Kinbain. Uncle Murphy had been his Father's friend, he was loved by everyone in the village because of his helping nature. Uncle Murphy waved at Oisin and Oisin happily obliged. The next canopy belonged to a candy seller. It was filled with heaps of candied plums, a delicacy that was relished by every child in Kinbain.

The market was only a market for namesake. Apart from shop owners, artists, musicians, healers, magicians, performers, and many more people owned their own canopies.

Oisin had been to the market several times in his life. The scene was very familiar yet it managed to intrigue him everytime. Oisin greeted familiar faces as he made his way to their own canopy. On his way there, he noticed that a new canopy had been added. It was violet in color with golden drapes covering the insides.

Oisin followed his grandmother to their usual spot. And helped her set up their canopy. Unfortunately, not many people approached them that day. It had been only three customers today, a lady carrying her infant child by the hip and an old man.

Time went by quicker than usual. It was noon, the crowd of customers in front of other canopies started to thin. It made Oisin feel glad, they weren't the odd ball now. He took advantage of the situation and ran off to explore the place, his buddy Cillian sat exhausted by his canopy. His pet both ends on fire, balancing himself on a rope about ten feet above the ground, while his pet monkey would collect money from the viewers." How has my dear boy been?", asked a familiar voice. Oisin glanced behind and the sight brought a smile to his face ." I have been doing good, uncle Murphy.", he replied. "Glad to hear that, and business?", asked uncle Murphy. "Business is not doing too well lately", Oisin replied looking down at his feet. "There are highs and lows when it comes to business, Let me know if you need-", his speech was cut short as a loud thud was heard. "OH NO! not them again!", uncle Murphy whined. Oisin saw adolescents, a girl and a boy, run away with chunks of meat in their hands, even after being warned by Murphy multiple times, they kept stealing food and had accidentally knocked over a tray full of mutton time. "COME BACK HERE!", he heard uncle Murphy yell at the two adolescents.

"I will see you later", uncle Murphy said hastily as he ran after the kids. Oisin gave him a nod and continued exploring. His eyes once again fell on the violet canopy, his curiosity got the better of him. He jogged towards the canopy. His hand went up to the drapes as he slowly moved them to take a peek. It was dark inside the canopy, with glass orbs of various sizes scattered on the floor, a candle stand was kept in the corner and a blue Persian carpet covering the floor, he suddenly felt a strong grip around his wrist. "It is not very nice to spy on people", said a feminine voice. The girl seemed his age, she had black hair that reached her waist which was tied back by a bandana, olive skin, and a sharp nose. However, something ruined the image: an ugly scar ran down her cheek. "I didn't mean to spy", Oisin responded quickly. "Don't explain yourself to me", said her grip tightening. "Madam! , we have a visitor", the girl yelled.

She dragged him along with her. "Oh really?", another voice called out. An old woman walked toward him. The woman was plump with curly hair, half of the length of her arm was covered in multi-colored bangles. Her eyes were milky white. "Where are they?", the woman asked. Oisin stood stupified as the young girl led the woman towards him. The woman reached out as if to touch his face, the bangles rattling by the sudden motion. Oisin instantly retreated. "Don't be scared, she wouldn't harm you", the girl whispered. "She is blind", Oisin guessed. The girl nodded. "Would you like to know what the future holds?", the young girl quickly added in as if she had memorized what to say next.

Oisin simply nodded, he couldn't see any harm. He felt compelled to say yes for some reason. "hold out your palm", the old lady ordered. Oisin obliged. Her fingers gently traced the lines on his palm. She stood still for a moment. "You are in great danger boy!

" BEHOLD OF WHAT THE FUTURE HOLDS,

" WITH THE HELP OF A WIZARD OLD,

" TRAVEL OVERSEAS TO ANOTHER REGION,

" TO BRING BACK THE LOST SEASONS"

the old lady finished with a deep breath.

Oisin was scared. Was he really in danger? but a part of him was glad that he had been right. The last line of the prophecy "To bring back the lost seasons", suggested that the curse could be broken." Okay time is up, you can go now", said the girl as she dragged him out of the canopy. Oisin was too mystified to respond. He simply let her drag him out of there.

"May I know Yo-"

"Niamh (Neev)", she cut his speech. Oisin nodded before racing off to the canopy, butterflies swarming his stomach. Had it been because of the prophecy or meeting a specific girl with long hair, he did not know.

it was getting dark. Had he been there for hours? His thoughts were interrupted by a loud wale. It sounded familiar, he quickly ran towards their canopy. It was his grandmother with uncle Murphy trying to console her. "What happened?", asked Oisin with a frown on his face. "WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN!", yelled Grandma." I am sorry", was all Oisin could muster. "If this happens again I will stop bringing you to the market!", said grandma. Oisin gave a nod looking down at his feet. "Let's go home now", grandma finished.