The Zoo

"The zoo?" Jungkook asks with a mouthful of eggs.

"Yeah, that's where we are going today." Tae answers.

"And you have plans for us? Like dates?"

"They are dates... recreated ones that we've already had at one point in our relationship."

"But what if I don't remember?"

"Then we go back another time. There's no pressure, we don't have control over your memories so we can enjoy the time together and make new memories at the same time."

"Okay. I enjoyed the movie last night... I can't believe I've seen it so many times before. Are you sure I have?"

"Unfortunately, I have also seen it too many times because it is one of your favourites."

"You fell asleep."

"That is also something that happens a lot. Iron Man is your thing."

"You told me to choose."

Taehyung giggles, "I actually hoped that was one memory that wouldn't resurface."

"It was good!" The small pout that accompanies Jungkook's words makes Tae hold his breath... another sign that his husband is in there.

"Are you ready to go?" Tae asks as they finish up their breakfast.

Jungkook nods and gets up from his chair. He's looking forward to the dates that Taehyung has planned and with his family scheduling regular video calls, he has high hopes that his life will eventually regain a sense of normality. Jungkook hasn't asked about the accident any more. There was a time when he first came round in the hospital that he asked constantly, wanting to know the details but after talking to the Police he decided he didn't want to know. If his brain chose to remember then he would deal with it, there were more important memories he needed to unlock.

The journey to the zoo wasn't a long one but it gave Jungkook the chance to make a list of movies to watch. The positive was how many he chose that he'd already seen. He couldn't remember seeing all of them but every memory was a good sign. At the start, he hadn't remembered very much at all and doctors were concerned that the memory loss would be permanent but as he showed improvement they told the couple that it would hopefully just be a matter of time. Jungkook finds it frustrating that he can remember the school play that he was in when he was nine years old and the card he made for his sister's 16th birthday, but he couldn't remember his wedding day or which mug was his at home.

"Are you serious?" Jungkook asks sternly when he sees the wheelchair in the boot of the car.

"I brought it and the walking aid just in case you need it."

"Tae, I'm so much stronger now. I am not being pushed around the zoo in a wheelchair."

"I didn't say we would use it, it's just in case. The doctors said you will get tired more quickly because you are doing more."

"Yeah and I will rest if I get tired. Okay?"

"You are so stubborn, Mr Kim-Jeon."

"Apparently."

Taehyung closes the car boot and locks it before turning to Jungkook and holding out his hand for him to take, trying not to roll his eyes or laugh at the moody expression on his face. He knows that it is partly down to Jungkook's stubbornness that has enabled him to heal well and his determination to remember is commendable.

They walk at a steady pace, this is somewhere they have been many times over the years and Tae hopes that it will unlock some memories for his husband. He has a list of places and dates that he has arranged in the hope that Jungkook will be able to remember how much he loves him. Taehyung is also determined, focused on ensuring his husband will fall in love with him again and not entertaining the prospect that it might not happen.