Chapter Five: Times of Change

Guilt weighed on Angus, making him slouch. The walk home had him replaying the events of the day over and over. No matter which way he looked at it, part of him felt responsible for the beggar man's death. He knew Pyggbe now, so did that make him guilty by association? The sight of the man's mutilated corpse flashed before him. Those dead, sightless eyes. The open hole in his mid-section. Angus had seen dead bodies before, but that had been in the midst or aftermath of battle, not in a street in the middle of the day. This was murder, something far worse than the things he, Ivonor, and the rest of their battalion had done in Moonwich. Sure, they'd killed armed and unarmed people, but that was to be expected. Wasn't it? It certainly wasn't anything like what he had witnessed today. This was just... wrong. And it was probably a wrong that happened all the time. How much did a goblin like Pyggbe need to eat? What if there was more than one goblin in Red Fern? Yes, this was definitely wrong.

"A wrong I need to put right," Angus muttered, feeling the shape and weight of the vial in his pocket. Knowing what he must do, he quickened his pace and headed home.

*****

From her spot on the wall, Vimelk looked to the stormy sky and realised the night was drawing close. It didn't feel that late, so this could only mean one thing. The Queen was in one of her moods. Perhaps this meant she had taken Vimelk's warning seriously. She could only hope that was the case. At least this way everyone was prepared.

Preparation was what she was doing now. Most of the time since her audience with the Queen had been spent talking to her battalion, ordering them to increase their vigilance, and making sure they were ready for whatever was about to befall Red Fern. Seeing the reactions of the soldiers was always interesting. Some appeared keen to face an enemy again, even if it was only a short time since the invasion of Moonwich. But some seemed scared. Vimelk could understand that. Being the invading force was one thing, having a fight brought to your doorstep was quite another.

Torches were being lit along the wall as she made her way to the final set of soldiers. She'd decided to speak to them in small groups like this as she couldn't stand the idea of leaving a single part of the walls unguarded, not even for a minute. Something told her that minute would be the one the enemy chose to strike. It was the minute she'd choose to strike if she were on the other side, after all. Besides, talking to them like this allowed fear and gossip to spread. Usually, this would be an inconvenience, but now it would work in their favour. Vimelk needed them to be afraid. She needed them to be ready.

As she approached the final two soldiers on the wall, she couldn't help but think these we're the least ready soldiers she'd ever seen. Like many of the front line, they were young and full of the lack of experience the young possess. One looked cocky like he couldn't wait to start swinging his sword around. She'd have to remind him that defence was always more difficult than attack. It was a lesson he'd soon learn. Vimelk could only hope the young soldier wouldn't pay for that lesson with his life or the lives of those around him.

The second soldier looked...blank. His thoughts and feelings were a complete mystery to her. After explaining what they needed to do, she turned to this one and said, "What's on your mind? You have permission to speak freely."

"Oh, nothing, sir," Ivonor Symkin replied. "I'm just trying to get in the zone."

Vimelk eyed the young soldier warily; he was a strange one.

*****

Home at last, Angus hid himself away in his room. He was a grown man now, but in the presence of his mother, he reverted back to being a child again. A child who kept secrets.

With great care, he took the vial from his pocket and placed it on the small table. Even though the light outside was starting to fade, the vial appeared to glow brightly. In fact, the blood inside almost shimmered, adding to Angus's temptation. No matter where the blood came from, it certainly wanted to be consumed.

Angus picked up the vial again and uncorked it, breathing in the heady aroma of rotting apples. It was strange to associate that smell with blood, but now Angus had been in possession of the vial for quite some time, it seemed normal. He brought the vial to his lips and held it there, thinking. If he drank the whole thing, he'd change forever. Into what, he didn't know. But if he just drank a tiny amount, like the sip he'd taken earlier, he'd be alright. Wouldn't he? It would be enough to see that goblin, and he had the feeling it would be enough for him to be strong enough to crush that little shit with his bare hands. Yes, just a sip would be fine. One small taste.

'If strength and power is what you seek, the blood is what you should drink,' the voice in his head said. It wasn't Angus's voice though. It was the same voice that had been trying to convince him to drink this stuff since he got it. This time he felt like listening to it.

"Don't mind if I do," he said, not caring that he was talking to himself. Tilting the vial, Angus let a tiny drop fall onto his tongue.

Outside, the alarm sounded. Red Fern was under attack.

Revenge on the goblin would need to wait, Angus's people needed him. Not daring to waste even a second, he put the cork back in the vial and dropped it in his pocket. Moving quickly, he pulled on his gambeson, plated armour, and helmet and grabbed his sword. His enemies would die tonight, he could feel it. Power coursed through his body, eager to be released. 

*****

Just a short chapter today, but things are about to get real in Chapter Six! 

See you next time! 

Thank you for reading :)