The Key

Then

"Did you know there's actually a scientific explanation that time travel could be possible under the theoretical rules of physics? Wormholes. Fucking wormholes!"

The man sitting across the table grinned. "No, Chloe," he chuckled to himself. "I didn't know that."

"Yep," she continued. "It makes sense, too. Einstein's theory of general relativity suggests we could use wormholes to travel between different points in time. The Einstein-Rosen Bridge. That might be exactly what Max was experiencing with her power. I doubt she even knew what the hell she was actually doing. The photo jumps were the same as the rewinds, except... I dunno, maybe it's a more direct path. I never asked her how that shit felt or what she experienced during the jumps, but it seems like it fits. Could explain the headaches and nosebleeds too. Traveling through a wormhole would fuck with a person's mind, I'd imagine."

"That sounds... interesting, sweetheart." The man stood from his chair and walked around to the opposite side where his daughter was sitting. Craning over her shoulder and leaning down, William squinted at the screen Chloe was excitedly staring at. "Time travel theories, hmm? Looks like you're enjoying the new laptop. Glad you convinced the warden to let you use it."

Chloe perked up and peered over the top, slowly inching her screen towards the keyboard, half way between open and shut, to confirm nobody was within earshot. "Dad, I really wish Max was here. I miss her. She's so damn good at solving puzzles. Then again, if she was with me now, we wouldn't need to find her, would we?"

Another modest chuckle came from behind her. "No, I guess not."

She fully opened the laptop again and glanced down at the bottom right corner, noticing the date. It was February 19, 2014. "Damn, that reminds me of a blast from the past. Goddamn Rodney 'Thunder' Spears. Today would have been his birthday. I went through his file in James Amber's office a few years back. Pretty sure Damon must've killed him when he found out the dude was a mole hired by the police. Sucks, too. All he wanted to do was clear his name."

"He wasn't careful, Chloe. He played a dangerous game and got burned. I recall having a similar conversation with you about playing with fire." He placed both palms on each of his daughter's shoulders to comfort her. She could almost feel the man's gentle touch, though she knew he wasn't really there.

"Oh, fuckballs!" The prisoner hollered, kicking a leg in the air then shooting up to her feet. "It's her. I fucking found her!"

"You did?" the man questioned as he removed his hands and leaned closer to the screen.

"She started a blog, Dad! A goddamn blog! I can't believe it. Shit, this is amazeballs!" The prisoner sat back at the table and pressed the button to increase the screen's brightness. She centered the laptop directly in front of her in a better position to give the text her complete attention. As she focused on Max's writing, her father seemed to vanish, leaving her alone in the jail cell. She clicked the left mouse button to "Like" the post then proceeded to read.

Post 1: In the Beginning... By Max Caulfield

In the beginning, Max created a new blog...

(She very much hoped it would be good.)

Sorry for the biblical reference, I just couldn't help it. I guess I should actually start this off with introducing myself. It would probably be helpful if you know who I am.

My name is Max Caulfield, and ever since I was a little kid, I knew I wanted to be a photographer. I've never really shared much of my work, but this space will be like my virtual art gallery since I'm nowhere close to being a professional... yet. I love old analog and instant cameras. Though I've recently upgraded to digital. I'm not as fond of the new norm in photography, but if I ever plan to make this a career, I have to learn to accept reality. Out with the old, in with the new. Even though I never plan on fully moving away from instant, I'll mainly share shots I can easily upload.