Death Day

5:30am – Wake Up Call

"It's time, Jane." The warden's voice woke the inmate from a dreamless sleep. She didn't even hear the large door at the end of the chamber open as she usually did. "We've got an official process to follow on death day. We need to get a move on."

Chloe slowly opened her eyes to the familiar scene of a grungy, dank ceiling in her direct view. Turning her head to the side to see the man who was currently opening her jail cell, the inmate quietly yawned and began pushing up to a sitting position. She fully expected to see him surrounded by guards for precautionary measures, just in case they expected things to go sideways. To her surprise, it was only him. The man who she'd spent more time with than anybody else during the past five years, was alone to greet her as she awoke. He carried a clipboard in one hand and his portable radio and keys in the other.

"I almost feel guilty taking a paycheck today. I'll easily remember you as my favorite murderer." The warden chuckled. "I'm looking forward to this first part. You get a couple of hours to write your final thoughts and make any last phone calls. Maybe you'll actually let me hear your voice today. What do you say?"

The girl just shook her head and turned toward the wall behind her. A tiny twinge of worry sent a shiver down her spine as the darkness of the day's events began to feel more real. Her faith was in Max, but she suddenly wondered if fate might intervene and end their story before her partner in time could find a way. Pushing her doubts aside, Chloe turned back towards the man.

"Listen, nobody's here but me and you." He leaned in, putting his mouth near the girl's ear. "You're gonna die today. That's a fact. Why not give this old man the satisfaction of finally hearing you speak? I promise I won't tell anyone. It'll be our little secret."

The girl shook her head again and moved away towards the desk in the center of the cell. She glanced over and made the writing motion with her fingers curled as if she was holding a pencil while moving her wrist back and forth. The man nodded and handed her the clipboard with a single sheet of paper clasped to the front. It was thicker than notebook paper but not quite as thick as construction paper. A single pen, with the governor's crest adorned on the side, was attached at the top portion and clipped to the metal piece of the clipboard.

Chloe removed the ballpoint, clicked the bottom button to extend the tip, then began writing. The warden took a step backwards and allowed the prisoner to finish. He whistled and fidgeted with his radio as he waited. It only took a few minutes for her to complete her final thoughts. She clicked the pen again and secured it to its original location at the top of the clipboard. Handing the paper to the warden, Chloe stood from her chair and headed back to her bunk.

When the man looked at the paper, Chloe noticed him squint and crane his neck forward, facial features littered with confusion. "What the hell am I looking at?" he asked. "THIS is your final thought?" He turned the page over and held the drawing up, showing it to its artist. The prisoner smirked, looking at the drawing she created of Max with a superhero cape blowing in the wind. At the bottom, in block letters she had written the words "SUPER MAX".

"I'm still not sure what your connection is with that girl, but I hope she got something outta you. I'm curious." The warden chuckled again. "It's funny, Jane. I've been around you for half a damn decade. I know where you are and what you're doing at all times." He stopped for a moment before continuing. "But I don't really know you, do I?"

Chloe shrugged and stared back, not speaking a word.

"That's that, I guess. This next part is when you get to spend time calling your loved ones, but I'm guessing that ain't your style." Again, the inmate shook her head. "Okay. Well, we have no petitions for a stay of execution. No other legal issues either. We would allow visitors now, but nobody's here to see you."