Chapter One

"MOM!  I'm home!  Guess who I f-"  I was cut short there because lying in front of me was my mother bleeding over the carpet.  He killed her.  He must have. 

        "No. No no no no no!  This can't be happening!"  I cried.  Quickly I ran to my neighbors house.

        I knocked quickly on the door.  Open, please open.  I thought.  A young woman opened the door.

        "Please help!  I just got home from my boarding school a-and.  My mother.  Sh-she's dead."  I started crying and I fell down onto the porch.

        "Are you okay?  What happened to her?"  The woman knelt down next to me and hugged me.

        "My guess is her boyfriend killed her.  Recently too because she's bleeding over the carpet and there is a bloody knife on the kitchen counter"  I hugged the woman back and sobbed uncontrollably.

        "You can stay with me for a while if you'd like.  I'll go call nine-one-one."  She got up and grabbed the phone.  Authorities came, asked me questions and sure enough.  I would be staying the summer with this woman.

        "Marcie!  Come down here!  You have a letter."  Carly yells.  I sit up and rub my eyes.  I hate that dream, that happened two years ago yet I still dream about it.  WHY! 

        "Coming Carly!"  I yell, standing up too quickly.  I get a head rush as I'm walking to the bathroom.

        I turn on the water and splash my face a few times and then dry my face with a towel.  I exit the bathroom and walk down the stairs into the family room (It's in the basement).

        "Here, I'm going to pour us some cereal okay?"  She says smiling.  I look at the letter.  At first I don't recognize the handwriting then I look at who it's from.  My dad.  He wrote me a letter.  Oh gosh.  I forgot he was going to write me.  It'd already been two months since last school year.

        "Who's it from?"  Carly asked from the kitched, "One of your wizard friends?"  Yes, she knows about us.  I kind of had no choice of whether to tell her because she refused to let me go shopping alone and well.  Let's just say an owl flew in through the window and dropped the letter in her cereal.

        "Well, kind of..."  I trail off sitting down next to her and pulling my bowl of cereal close.

        "Kind of?  What is it, come on tell me."  She turns to completely face me and I have to decide whether or not tell her.  Oh well, she'll find out either way.d

        "It's a letter from my dad."  I say, looking down and playing with my cereal.  I didn't read it. 

        "What's it say?"  She asks, she sounds slightly down.  She thinks I'd want to live with my dad.  Well, I kind of do.

        "I don't know.  Haven't read it."  I shrug it off as if it's no problem.  I think it's just to make her feel better, to think that i I care about her more.  And, I guess I do.  She was here for me, a complete stranger, when my mother died.

        "Why not?"  She asks, going back to the newspaper.  She doesn't care, meaning she understands that I don't really care, although I care so much.

        "You know, I don't need to read it.  I already know what it says..."  I trail off.  He's asking me to live with him.  I know it.  He must be, why else would he send me a letter?

        "Oh.  When are we going to get your school stuff?"  She asks,

        "You know, when we get the letter."