We Danced

Footsteps aren't a uncommon thing to hear when your sitting in a basement, so I think nothing of it when I hear quiet thuds coming from my upstairs hallway. I just assume it's my brother and continued doing whatever pointless little thing I was doing at the time.

They go on for another couple of minutes and I'm starting to get pissed off. They keep getting louder and louder and I sighed, wondering what the hell my brother's doing this late night.

I sit there because it's impossible to focus with the racket. I mean, it sounds like someone's power walking all over my main floor. I sit there and listen as the thumps get faster and wilder.

They just keep moving, almost starting to form a rhythm. They move faster and get even willder and they're thumping all over my main floor.

I realize that whatever it is, it can't be human. No human can move like that.

'What the fuck?!' I finally yell.

After that all the noises stop. Everything is quiet for a moment.

And then, I hear calm, slow footsteps moving to my basement door. The door is pushed open, and the footsteps stop again. I listen to my breathing for the next three minutes, then sigh, thinking it's over.

Turns out something else was listening, too. Suddenly I hear it thudding down the stairs, and I knock my chair over in my haste to stand up.

I start to run towards the nearest closet, just in time to see a grotesque, hairless, four-legged creature, dancing towards me, tapping it's swollen feet in an intoxicating rhythm.

I dive into the closet and slam the door shut.

There's a half second pause and then I hear the same rhythm on the door. It just keeps going and going with no pause, no rest, no relief. He's been at it for hours now and I find myself tapping my fingers along with his song.

But then just as suddenly as it began, it ends.

I wait for a few moments, then look out. He's gone.

I flip on the light and fall into a chair. It's safe. I relax and think for a few moments. But then I notice my foot is tapping. Maybe this song isn't so bad. I almost like it enough to dance to it.

So I dropped down on my hands and feet and I start to dance.

***

Okay, this is really scary. I mean, what the fuck? It gave me the creeps. Seriously. How 'bout you guys?