Chapter 3

summary: Virgil's behaviors catch up to him and he gets hurt

(Warning: Mentions of blood)

                            ⊱ ────── {⋅. 🌩️🧠 .⋅} ────── ⊰

Virgil spent the next ten or so minutes ( he wasn't keeping track) his back pressed against the bathroom stall, his right hand clamped over his mouth to muffle any noise. his left hand scratching frantically at the scars on his arms, he was spiraling "Romans probably thrilled- he's free now that you broke it off- you saved him the trouble about him pretending to care about your reaction if he had dumped you" his wrist was a mess of red from his fingers scratching open a scab from days ago.

he held his breath when the door opened and he heard a familiar voice- Patton?

Virgil looked at his fingers, tinged with blood, and had no choice but to suck them to clean the blood off and wrap his wrist with his hoodie sleeve. he took several deep breaths opening the door, trying his best to look casual.

Patton was washing his hands and saw his reflection in the mirror " Virgil! you're still here." he greeted cheerfully

Virgil nodded" uh, yeah, roman just needed to let me know there was an emergency rehearsal and that he had to reschedule our date- no big deal." he shrugged

" oh I'm sorry, " Virgil waved him off " don't be, it's no big deal." he changed the subject " you still hanging with Parker and Logan?"

Patton nodded "I have one more class today but the group tends to stay around until we're all done, feel free to hang with them" Virgil smiled at how much those words didn't sound normal coming from his lips " you sound like a dad, talking like that" Virgil teased

" that pretty much sums up our little group, I've always looked out for Logan and Parker, making sure no one hurts them." he placed a hand on Virgil's thin shoulder " and now you're part of that" he smiled. a sound from Patton's wrist beeped, must have been the alarm on his watch." I better get going, don't want to be late, ill see you after maybe," he said as he scurried from the bathroom, leaving Virgil once again alone.

Virgil turned the hot water on and pulled his sleeve from his wrist, starting the blood flow once again, and cleaned the wound as best he could before wrapping it with toilet paper. Patton's words echoed in Virgil's head " protect Logan from getting hurt-" ( 'like he would if he started hanging out with you,)" the voice in his head spat ("what makes you think he would be interested in you anyway- any of them, they let you sit with then out of pity, just like roman, you're just one charity case after another") Virgil shook his head hard, wondering why his thoughts were taunting him so much. even though he had just bled, an action that usually kept his intrusive thoughts at bay, " wasn't enough" Virgil surmised he decided he'd have to go home and- he hit his hand on the sink as he remembered he had gotten a ride to school today, from roman. and now he was stranded until someone could give him a ride.

he left the bathroom after he somewhat got his mental state under wraps for the time being, and found Logan and Parker still sitting at their table " mind if I rejoin you?" he asked, not waiting before sinking into his seat from before, logan tried to hide his smile as Virgil gave the same excuse to the pair as they continued to carry on with their previous conversation which had turned into one about escape rooms logan wanted to visit. " there's sherlock, ooh an Alice and wonderland.." logan mused as parker snickered " what's so funny?" logan asked, for once not seriously

" isn't that for children?"

" the original version is darker than you think, I swear the writer had to have been on something when he wrote those books," Virgil said, unknowingly coming to logans defense, which made the man only smile more. " I'm glad someone else can appreciate classic literature."

                                          ⊱ ────── {⋅. 🌩️🧠 .⋅} ────── ⊰

time passed and they waited until Patton returned, worn but happy to see his friends again " you need a lift, Virgil?" Patton asked

" oh, sure, thanks," he said. as he walked with the pair to parkers car, him saying he'd come back for his boyfriend after, Virgil's head started pounding as his sides began to ache. it was uncomfortable but Virgil was used to the hunger pangs he felt when he went on his "diets" which he did mostly due to the fact that roman would make a comment on his appearance.

he shook his head, forcing the thoughts of roman out of his mind as he made his way into the back seat of parkers car.

logan kept giving Virgil sideways glances and wished he could ask Virgil if he was okay, from how he looked in the rearview mirror, he looked like he was having a mental conversation with someone in his head, his eyes darted from the floor of the car to the window, back to his hands before squeezing shut. Virgil was a guarded individual on a good day, and they hadn't been friends long enough for him to intrude yet, so logan sighed internally, forcing himself to turn his attention elsewhere.

Virgil quickly thanked parker and said goodbye to the pair before going to the front door and hurrying inside, he threw off his jacket, it landed on the floor, he trudged upstairs and into the bathroom looking for his tin of blades, but another wave of dizziness, causing him to sway before making a grab for the window sill, but his finger missed and he fell, his head smacking against the small edge of the tub, knocking him unconscious and caused a small crack to leak blood