Chapter Five

I halted in my tracks. My eyes went wide. I managed to choke out, "Who are you? Where is my dad?"

A chuckle on the other end. "I just told you who I am. I am Slappy."

It was hard to stay calm, seeing that my poor heart was pounding. I feared the worst for Dad. "I-I would like to know more than your name. And why are you on Dad's phone?"

"One question at a time, hon. One question at a time."

I sat on a wooden bench and put the phone on speaker. "I have no time for your games. I want to speak to Dad. Put him on the phone."

"I can put him on - but he will not respond."

Now I was scared - and angry. I wished to be there so I could strangle this Slappy person. I gritted my teeth as goosebumps appeared on my skin. He messed with the wrong girl. If he hurt my father, he would pay.

I raised my voice. "Tell me where you and my dad are - or else."

Slappy snickered. "A feisty girl. I like them. Maybe you should come down to the police station to see your dad - and we can chat more. I apologize for my behavior. It was wrong of me to make fun of the situation. I am just stressed. If you want to hang up on me, you can."

Why am I feeling bad for this guy?

I stood and headed to the police station. "What are you doing on my father's phone?" I heard something in the background. Footsteps?

"It is best that you come. It is not good. Not good at all. I have nothing to do with this. Believe me when I say it because I...care."

Did I hear snickering?

"Are you laughing?"

"Ah. You must have heard my child. He is watching his favorite movie in the other room. I was taking him to a dance when I spotted your dad. I could not leave him."

I processed his claim. "Um...thank you?"

I was not buying his story. But what could I do? I could call the police - but Slappy was at the police station!

"How...how do I know that you will not harm me? This could be a trap. I will bring a cop if I must."

"That is impossible. All the officers are in a pickle right now. So no one will escort you. Except one. And do not get scared if you see no driver."

"What...what do you mean?" I overheard another voice in the background. "Who is that?"

"I have to go. Someone needs me. By the way, what are you wearing? So I know when you stroll in through the doors. I will know who I was talking to."

"Something tells me that you want to see me."

"I need you to see your father. Now come." He hung up before I could get in another word.

I put my phone in sleep mode and put it away. I stated, "That was rude."
———————
Lorraine had arrived to the police station with Tamara. She put a finger over her lips and shushed her. Tamara covered her mouth and stared at the socks keeping her feet warm. Lorraine strolled to the front desk and tried using the intercom, but it was not working.

"Hello? Hello? Can anyone hear me?"

"I can hear you."

The blinds in the back room rolled up, revealing...him.

"Sergeant Slappy! Ready to protect and serve!"

Even with the shades and police cap, Lorraine realized that he was a puppet. "Oh my goodness. You're a—"

"Don't do it."

"A talking—"

"Don't say it."

"Dummy."

"You said it."

It was not until now that Lorraine noticed Shelly's dad. She was in shock - and suddenly heard someone enter. She spun around to spot the Body Squeezers. The baby was so scared that she jumped from Lorraine and went under a chair. Lorraine screamed and raised her hands as the aliens aimed their guns and shot at her, freezing her.

"You have the right to remain silent," Slappy spoke. He shooed his aliens. "Go. Hide. Our special guest is close. I can feel it."

The gnomes entered through the back with something. They threw it on Shelly's father and hurried off. Slappy thanked them and rubbed his wooden hands together.

"Two dead bodies in one night. That is a record! Haha! I cannot wait until the girl sees her dad. Her dead dad! Hahaha!"
———————
I could not pry my eyes off the driver's seat. I was both creeped out and amazed. This car was driving by itself! It was haunted. That explained its license plate. It said, "HAUNTED."

"Like what you see?" the Haunted Car asked.

I nodded. "Hope that you do not mind me staring."

"Not at all - especially since that these moments will be your last."

A chill shot down my spine. I laid back and clasped my hands in my lap. "You...you are not planning to kill me - are you?"

"I would not think of it. I would never hurt a sweet girl like you."

I played with my fingers. "Thanks...I guess. So you and Slappy are friends."

"I would not say friends. But he freed me and the other monsters. So we are repaying the favor."

"'Monsters'?"

"Yep. Lawn gnomes. Vampires. A living puppet. By the way, never call Slappy a dummy."

I scratched my head. "Does he think that he is a genius or something?"

"That guy is the smartest and most powerful monster." The car made a sharp turn. "I am warning you. Do not double-cross him if you wish to not feel his wrath."

I narrowed my eyebrows. "Hey. The gnomes broke into my house and chased me and my family. And one tried choking me." I wrapped my hand around my neck. "I-I almost died."

"What did you expect? We are monsters."

"What if you were not monsters?"