𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝟏

Y/n POV

Dante's speed got us through the forest very quickly after I got us over the mountains. We covered our faces with hoods, silently making our way to Tia Abuela's home.

The night was still, our footsteps silent. The only sounds were those of crickets and the wind.

"Keep quiet, Hermana"

"I am, Hermano."

"Who's there!"

Chorusing a string of profanities, we bolted straight for our tía abuela's home, clutching onto our hoods.

Remember not to reveal your faces before the official introduction. It's dangerous.

Mama was right.

"Alma! Madrigals! There are intruders!"

Shit.

"Quickly, (Y/n)!"

"FREEZE!"

A giant cactus grew from the ground right in front of us and towards our left and right.

We were trapped. But not for long. I kicked open the case holding my violin and held it up to my shoulder.

Camilo's POV

Abuela woke us up, knocking on our doors, shouting something about intruders. The casita hurried us outside as we saw two hooded figures darting between houses. Isabella moved the fastest, trapping them with giant cactuses.

But the shorter of the two took out a violin and started playing. It was... light and happy. Soothing even. Until they started floating over us all, and towards the home of abuela's friend.

Her playing stopped and they descended to the ground. 

"Tia Abuela, we're here."

"You're Abuela Cintia's grandniece and grandnephew?"

"Lo Siento for surprising you. Nosotros no queríamos."

"Dante."

The other hooded figure pulled off her ruana's hood to reveal her black hair and sharp yellow eyes.

"Alma, I believe I told you my sister's grandchildren would be moving here."

"I thought it was tomorrow night, Cintia." Abuela smiled at her and the mention of her distant friend. "False alarm, todas."

The village slowly returns to their homes with some mumbling about the two newcomers.

"So... we gonna talk about the newcomers?" 

Dolores elbowed me in the gut.

"We should let them rest up first."

"Right..."

My eyes couldn't help but linger on the girl retreating into the house. A girl who also had a gift... How did her familia get their miracle?

"Camilo."

"Mhm..."

"You're staring." I snapped out of it in an instant. Dolores and Isabella were sniggering as Mirabel slowly pushed me back in the direction of our casita.

(Y/n)'s POV

I let Tia Abuela guide me up the steps into the attic. A beautiful room, with just enough space for composing music. 

"Gracias, Tia Abuela.

"Make yourself at home, Querida. Rest here for the rest of the night. You can sleep in tomorrow too."