All in the Book

Scott looked through his books, wanting to know more about the elves who worked at the North Pole.

"What are you doing Santa?" Bernard asked.

Scott jumped, turning around. "I'm looking up information regarding the elves under me. Except..."

"What?"

"Isn't your last name Elfbright?"

"And?"

"All of the Elfbright—they're in the toy-making department. Is that a thing?"

"If you mean is Elfbright elves being toymaker elves being a thing, yes. Except for myself."

"There aren't any others here. Not for a long time. Not since before you became head elf."

"And?"

"What happened to your family, Bernard?"

"You've seen how dark things can get. I mean, you replaced a Santa who fell off your roof."

"Bernard."

"Something bad happened at the pole, which is why elves aren't fond of staying here long, now seeing it as a place to train younger elves for other jobs later on. After all, it snuffed out the Elfbright light, didn't it?"

"I think you're quite bright though."

"The rest of them don't think so."

"Then there are other Elfbright elves? But they're not toymaker elves."

"They're toymaker elves. Just not at the North Pole. They're not happy I didn't take my father's position as head of the toy-making department."

"Oh. Well..." Santa looked at the book. "Who's Mindy Elfbright."

"Mindy shouldn't be in the books."

"Well, she will be. She graduated." Santa watched the color drain from Bernard's face. "Did I say something wrong?"

"Jinglesnaps. I forgot she would be graduating, that she wanted to become a toymaker elf like our parents. I..." Bernard frowned. "Can we not talk about it?"

"She's going to be here at the North Pole, so..."

"Maybe later?"

"Alright, Bernard."